How to make a model translucent, not transparent?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
afecelis
Admin

How to make a model translucent, not transparent?

Post by afecelis »

I got my level in X format and I got a non textured version of the same model with only the lightmaps. I need to make the second model translucent so that it blends together with the textured model.

any ideas?
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Heh, I think you don't know what translucent means.

www.dictionary.com
A thing is translucent when it merely admits the passage of light, without enabling us to distinguish the color and outline of objects through it; it is transparent when we can clearly discern objects placed on the other side of it. Glass, water, etc., are transparent; ground glass is translucent; a translucent style.

So this is the effect you get when looking through a 'frosted' or 'ground' glass window. So open photoshop, apply a Guassian blur (the thicker, the longer it takes) and see how long it takes your computer to render it - and is why it can't be done in real time.

Maybe you mean 'additive blending' or something? If it's hard to explain, you could post an example picture up of a similar thing.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

ha ha hah, thnx for the technical explanation Domarius! You really print your style on each ofyour posts.

My question has to do with levels exported as .X using CartographyShop. Cshop has got its own lightmapper (which is fairly decent) so you may place lights in your level and modify their properties (the usual stuff, color, intensity, etc).When you export your level to .X , Cshop exports 2 models: one with the textures and a second one (which it names _lm) with the lightmaps. The second one is a non-textured version of your level so it's bascally white with the shadows baked according to the lights you placed. Now this is what they tell me in the Cshop forums:
Load both of them, place _lm just above the normal one and make _lm translucent.
so that's what I need. :D
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Hm, I didn't think anyone payed that much attention to my posts - espeically since this is the first time I've posted here in months, cause I'm looking at another free graphics engine. But I still enjoy these forums. :)

Well maybe the people on the Cshop forum do mean "additive blending". You should probably go ask there for further clarification on what they mean by "translucent", because I'm fairly certain they don't know what word they're using either :)

I can see how that might work using additive blending. In Irrlicht, you have to set the material properties to use additive blending, there's more information on that in the Irrlicht example files somewhere.

But yeah, I think the Cshop forum is your first port of call at the moment. When you've got a proper detailed explanation out of them, and you've had a try at doing it in Irrlicht and can't work it out, then people here could probably help more.