The Irrlicht Game - every1 involved

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Like the idea of people getting together and making a game that everybody has a say in designing

you are an idiot
38%
common idea noble but wont work
41%
great lets go
22%

Total votes: 74

sudi

Post by sudi »

i heared network, managers, server discovery....
is there actually a concept on what this is going to be??
Maybe first come up with a concept for something. and maybe a bit more innovative than a multiplayer fps...
Maybe even a card game can do it...i guess some of u heard about Eye of Judgement( PS3 ). Its a card game where u place real cards that are then read by the camera and brought to live....well ok thats not really cool to just copy something like that but maybe u get what i mean.
The german irrlicht community wasn't able to make a game maybe the english can...lets see
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok so...

Who will set up and care after the SVN?
I will make a google code page in sometime, there we make game production document (they have a wiki).
QuantumSK

Post by QuantumSK »

without reading the previous posts (short on time now), I'll reply to the poll:

It's a great idea, but chances are that the group will be so unorganized that it either never starts, or starts but falls apart shortly after.

I've been on so many game making communities in my lifetime (primarily the MORPG engines such as the old Player Worlds and Eclipse, and the RPG Maker comminuties), and this idea has been brought up more times than you could even guess. And not once has it ever worked.

In order to accomplish something like this, you need to be horribly over-organized, and everyone has to have the same thoughts on the game - which is incredibly rare since you are talking about more than 10 different people all wanting to pitch in their ideas for the project. Disagreements will be made, there will be no solid structure for the game - no matter how hard you end up trying, and generally it will fall.

However, make it open to only a (small) set number of people, and the task's difficulty plummets, and it's possible - although still difficult - to be done.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

devsh wrote:ok so...
Who will set up and care after the SVN?
production document (they have a wiki).
Someone has to take this job for this idea to move. I'm not going to do it, already I have so many stuff on my plate. Though I can download the server code and put it up on my VPS. Host it for the game client. It has to be Windows Server 2003 DotNet 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 code for that to move forward.

devsh wrote: I will make a google code page in sometime, there we make game production document (they have a wiki).
Start it yourself and see if there are any volunteers willing to help, I will join later as a member only.

If you need help setting-up the server dev environment on your machine, let me know. I'll find some URLs you can look into.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

who wants to be the owner and who wants to be members???

wiki is rough so you can put down any notes (if you are owner or member)

irrlicht-game.googlecode.com
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Awesome! I'll be there as a member first. see if I can set aside a time for it. I don't want to over-promise my commitment, but I will try.
sudi

Post by sudi »

It started....
so is there any idea?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

I think that you should do a list of volunteers/participants, will help to know where is the project. Also I'm asking you guys are you doing a low end game or a "next-gen" one ?
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

i don't think this is going to work...
but i suggest you meet up in irc sometime and talk there.
my expierience in coding games via internet is limited, but the few i have is not good :P
i'm curious about that.
i love skateboarding!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I mean I myself would love next gen because 2004 gfx hurts my eyes

ok dlangdev can i have ur googlecode username
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

I don't see any problems as long as the most features (which require high-end hardware, like shaders) can be disabled.
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko
sudi

Post by sudi »

what defines next-gen?? shaders?
In case shaders define next gen, then i really don't see any problem for you guys to go next gen.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I mean cmon minimum reqs at least geforce 5900 Ultra, think about by the time we finish there will be 490GTX out

but before we go next gen, I want your googlecode accounts!!!
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

[deleted]
Last edited by m_krzywy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

Sudi wrote:what defines next-gen?? shaders?
In case shaders define next gen, then i really don't see any problem for you guys to go next gen.
Next gen can be shader is also a matter of the way to create mesh and animation. And guys before starting anything you'll really need to know what kind of game this will be... (FPS? tactical? Rpg ?...)