Pimp irrlicht website

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Do you think the irrlicht page needs a new design and better screenshots?

Yes
85%
No
8%
I dont care about it
6%

Total votes: 130

xray

Pimp irrlicht website

Post by xray »

I got the idea from another thread, where jotatsu is recreating the irrlichts fairy:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=34260

Another reason I came along this is that I often read, in this and other forum irrlicht isnt capable of doing nice graphics, or people ask if irrlicht is capable of doing this or that in relation to good graphics. But maybe its because most pictures from the irrlicht main page are really old and crappy (especially in the section "Irrlicht developer shots" and "Other Irrlicht shots", and thats why people think this. Other engines (I dont want to tell names) are in my opinion more worse and poorer than irrlicht, but they know how to set their engine in the "right" spot. So maybe creating also a new design would help too, cause the last copyright is from 2005, four years old.

Thats why I started a poll for the members to choose whether you have the same opinion and would like to see irrlichts page in a new glance, or if you dont care about it.

I know the irrlicht developers cant do everything, so maybe we all could help together. I would also be willing to create a new design (of course for free).

Any comments?

cheers :)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

the new irrlicht logo has been around for so long but why is it not being used on forum and main site?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

We now have the screenshots in out gallery. So far we did not define a way to integrate project screenshots aside from the Screenshot of the Month contest submissions. But we also didn't get any requests to put project screenshots on either the website or into the gallery. If someone has a nice screenshot to showcase one of the Irrlicht features (without a link to a project) we could upload it to the galleries, though. Otherwise just submit it on the contest page, we're still seeking for pics for July.
xray

Post by xray »

Yep I know the new gallery and I think its a good solution, but the old screenshots are still in the screenshots section and I think thats the first place where new people look if they want to see what irrlicht is capable of.
Ok maybe we could start recreating some screenshots showing the biggest features of irrlicht.

And hybrid what is about a new webdesign? Are you allowed to decide this? Or dont you care about a new on?

@Virion: I didnt found the thread to this new irrlicht logo, can you link me to it... thanks

cheers
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, we could change the layout and stuff. The thing is, though, that no one of us has really much time for website management and stuff. So we need a very simple layout without any overhead etc.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

The option "Design is allright but we need better screenshots" is missing ;)
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

xray wrote:@Virion: I didnt found the thread to this new irrlicht logo, can you link me to it... thanks
http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/

That's the new logo. It's been there for quite a long time.
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

I can change image for PHPBB2/3 if you need time
xray

Post by xray »

@Sylence: yep you are right, sorry but there isnt the possibility to edit the poll. So we will add a half point from you to the "Yes" answer? ;)

@Virion: Ah ok yeah I stell know this one, much better than the old one.
roelor

Post by roelor »

Virion wrote:
xray wrote:@Virion: I didnt found the thread to this new irrlicht logo, can you link me to it... thanks
http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/

That's the new logo. It's been there for quite a long time.
I think the old one is nicer (Clean design few colors)
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

I also thing that the old one is better :D.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I think they should go new and make something different from both old site and current site.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
xray

Post by xray »

I think they should go new and make something different from both old site and current site.
Do you mean site or logo ?

Well I see it is really hard to satisfy everyone, seems to be impossible :). I still created a new site, but with the thought in mind that not everyone wants a whole new design. The new logo will be inside with appropriate colors. A little different head of the homepage as well. But the whole structure will be the same so everyone will recognize the new one as the irrlicht page :). When I finished all changes and hybrid updated to the new one you will be able to see it in action.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

if irrlicht website is replaced , with some really low budget, cheesy looking website ill be sorely dissapointed.

The engine is going in a good direction, and it would be foolish to cripple it with a crappy website.

If the site is to be replaced, standards must be set extremely high.

For the sake of all that is a community, do not kill it with a lame website.
xray

Post by xray »

The new site doesnt look cheesy or crappy but more modern with the new logo and logo colors. The whole structure of the site will be the same as the old one. The new one will not be a step backwards. I think nothing to worry about. The problem of creating a whole new design is that it will be hard to get it accepted by the developers, its not a problem of low budget. I dont get and also woudnt require money for a whole new design.

-> http://www.solar-ray.org/irrlicht_main_page.png