IrrPhysx 0.2 - Nvidia Physx 2.8.1 wrapper

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
JP

Post by JP »

The next version will, it's working pretty well but I just need to find the time to polish it off finally. Hopefully should be able to do so pretty soon!
Image Image Image
JaSK

Post by JaSK »

Mh, I got a quite annoying problem with irrphysx...
I want to use my GPU to do all the physx stuff and it works well with other games or the example programs from the nvidia page and when I run my game the console output says that it's using hardware mode.

Nonetheless hardware mode doesn't work for me. I created a stack of boxes with the function that came with irrphysx and it is clearly using software mode. I ctrl-f'ed through irrphysx's code and saw that some actors won't use hardware mode but it seems like boxes should.
Help me, I'm lost ^^
maranek

Post by maranek »

Im not sure about this but the createPhysxManager has the third argument like this.....

Code: Select all

createPhysxManager(IrrlichtDevice* device, const SSceneDesc& sceneDesc, bool disableHardware = false);
you have to set it to true...

physxManager = createPhysxManager(device, sceneDesc,true);
JP

Post by JP »

maranek, if JaSK does that then that will DISABLE hardware mode, which isn't what he wants ;)

JaSK, I don't actually know anything about hardware mode in Physx myself... I don't have any hardware that will support it so haven't tested it out at all... I kinda assumed that it was all set up properly but it appears it isn't.... Maybe there are some extra flags that need setting to specify which actors are done on the hardware... But I would have thought it would either all run on hardware or all run on software... Possibly not...

I can take a look at the examples when I get a chance to see if there's anything obvious I've missed... Not sure if there's anything you can spot in there that I've missed out?
Image Image Image
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

Hardware computing works just fine for me...
Might be that your card does not support Physx/CUDA or that your drivers are not up to date ?
PS : I am going to release a RagDoll node soon.
JP

Post by JP »

Orly? For IrrPhysx? That'd be pretty handy! It's one of the next things on my list of things to do but probably wouldn't get round to it for quite a while yet so if you've got something i could include in IrrPhysx that'd be a great help!
Image Image Image
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

Well for now it's going to be a Humanoid ragdoll, might add a procedural animation system to it once I get it working.
JP

Post by JP »

I was thinking about how tricky it would be to make the ragdoll usable as bounding boxes for the human model (so the ragdoll component's transformations are controlled by the model's animations) and then when you want the human to die flip over the control to the ragdoll (so the ragdoll component's transformations control the model's bone transformations) so the body crumples to the floor. Have you done anything along those lines or is it just a straight ragdoll that just flops around?
Image Image Image
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

yamashi : it's a plan or you ever work on it ?
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

yamashi : it's a plan or you ever work on it ?
To Steel Style :
Working on it right now.

To JP :
For now it's just a straight forward ragdoll that flops around...
And tbh for your problem, you just disable the physX Actors while you are using preset animations and you can just enable them when you need the ragdoll to drop...
I will look into it once I get my ragdoll node working for now I am trying to think of a way to automaticly use the correct animator for each bone of a node.
Basicly I am trying to make a function :
loadBonesFrom(IAnimatedMeshSceneNode* n)
The function itself is not hard if I consider that every node will have the same amount of joint, same size...
Last edited by yamashi on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

yamashi wrote: The function itself is not hard if I consider that every node will have the same amount of joint, same size...
This is the point :D, personnaly I have a not very flexible ragdoll code that why I can't very submit it. To make a proper one someone should add an editor also.
Tannz0rz

Post by Tannz0rz »

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl IrrPhysx::removePhysxManager(class IrrPhysx::IPhysxManager *)" (?removePhysxManager@IrrPhysx@@YAXPAVIPhysxManager@1@@Z) referenced in function _main

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class IrrPhysx::IPhysxManager * __cdecl IrrPhysx::createPhysxManager(class irr::IrrlichtDevice *,struct IrrPhysx::SSceneDesc const &,bool)" (?createPhysxManager@IrrPhysx@@YAPAVIPhysxManager@1@PAVIrrlichtDevice@irr@@ABUSSceneDesc@1@_N@Z) referenced in function _main 
Anyone have a clue? I've already asked JP on the IrrPhysx forum, but no-one else seems to understand what the gig is. I've placed the library file appropriately in the VC 9 lib folder, and linked it to my project, yet I still get those errors.

Thanks ahead of time.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

What version of Irrlicht are you using ?
Tannz0rz

Post by Tannz0rz »

Steel Style wrote:What version of Irrlicht are you using ?
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

make sure that you downloaded the good IrrPhysX version, you might also try to compile example.