free compiler with lightmaps?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Thnx LordT! :D

it's your lightmapper...on acids!!! lol :wink:

It's been fun playing with work-arounds. I'm glad you're planning to work on the new version. I'll eagerly be waiting for it!

I've found your tools very easy to use and implement in Irrlicht with Jox's loader. I think I'll stick with it. Can't wait to see colored lightmaps working.

cheers!

Lord Trancos

Post by Guest »

I've updated the obj2ent package to solve the fliping issue.
The obj2ant bat already has the switches needed to fix that.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

nice! :D
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

Can anyone tell me - can i develope my level maps in 3DS MAX
(with curved surfaces, not only flat) and convert it into .lmts format?

In case whith OBJ:
[Wings 3D (.OBJ+.MTL)] ->[Lord T. stuff (.ENT or .ANT)] ->
[FSRad (.OCT)]->[Lord T. format (.LMTS)]

I get it! But i want working in 3DS MAX!

How can i get this:
[3DS MAX (.3DS)] -> ... -> [Lord T. format (.LMTS)]
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

I like LMTools - it works perfect (in flat case)!
And i don't understand why Lord T. stopped working on it?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Lord Trancos didn't stopped working on it.
He just focused on the fsrad converters.
Check what he said:
afecelis, looks very cool! btw, i'll not start the new lmtools version till next week.
for curved surfaces, he is working on a new compiler
you can check his post in the beginning of the thread:
http://www.geocities.com/dxlab/tmp/lmnew.htm
(antes= before despues=after)

I think he posted an alpha somewhere

just wait. :wink:

for 3dmax, why don't you use a3ds2lmts.exe that come with lmtools?
Acki

Post by Acki »

Well, I tried to load the sample map with the normal textures includet and with resaved textured (resaved by PSP6)...
But I can't get it to work !!! :(
My prog crashes if it tries to load the map... :?

I used the sample code(s) posted to this thread...

Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't know what it could be...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

@zdimitor

OBJ importer and exporter for Max 6.
www.habware.at/duck6.htm

for max 4, and 5:
www.habware.at/duck4.htm
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

This is a very interesting thread, I'll post some thoughts.

LMTools and FSRad are great, but I would much rather prefer to work with gile[s]. Although it is very cool for an open source engine to have open source solutions for lightmapping, I think that the $80 that gile[s] + Ultimate Unwrap 3D costs is not a big issue for people that want to get professional results (or make a commercial game). So, as I repeat that the open source way is very good, I think that a decent .X importer in IrrLicht (I mean, a importer capable of reading the 2 sets of UV coordinaqtes) is a MUST HAVE in this cool engine.

This way, you would make your map in any modelling package you want, import in gile[s] (it imports meshes from a lot of common formats), lightmap, export to two .X files (because gile[s] export to DX7 .x format, which only has 1 set of texture coords, so it exports 2 files, each one with one set of tex coords), load in Ultimate Unwrap the first file, and append the UV data from the other file to the second UV set of the map (I have never used Unwrap3D myself, but vermeer mentioned that this was possible... would confirm it, veermer?), and export to a DX8.1 mesh, with the two UV sets.

So, the workflow would be as follows:

Modelling Package -> gile[s] -> Ultimate Unwrap 3D -> IrrLicht

The results would be absolutely nice, and all we need is support for .X files with 2 UV sets in IrrLicht :)
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

2vermeer:
Thanks I'll try that, may be it helps me.

2cmoibenlepro:
I used this tool (it works fine), but LMGen ...
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

Well, I tried this exporters, but after that my scene messed up all textures and lights!!!!!!!!!!!!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

zdimitor, obj does not support lights. I guess that trancos made a workflow that puts lighting information in another file that gets merged somehow with the geometry obj info, using materials as light emitters. May I be wrong.

materials could have got messed for many operations you could have made wrong...

@jedive

Interesting post you made, and hello from long time...

Thx, I am buying now XSI (heck , seems supports lightmaps too...while I purchased for character animation...was allways ) as went down to 495$ and I always wanted a highend package at home...of course, several stuff ripped....and so, I have had no time on checking giles well...all my test time used in checking well xsi trial to see if it did fit...gues what, x export works in UU, but needed some tweak and install and external free addon.

yep, Ultimate Unwrap supports 2 uv channels, and better than most tools out there. You can perfectly swap uv coords between uc hannels, indeed, in theory, you could even map only once. Who knows if even exchange uvs with other models.

yup, it seems it exports 2 uv channels in x files. You asked me by email long ago bout 2 channels in x, and the way I ensured u that x format was supporting that info, was exporting the x file iwith 2 uv channels, and reading in notepad that the fvfdata or however it's called, was there in the file. I think I also loaded somewhere that had 2 uvchannel support.

yep, it does.

BTW, I think is good have the THREE ways....

lmtools, as there's already an lmts loader, and probably in the future trancos will update it fo rthe normals problem...

fsrad, as seems is a high quality open source solution for those wanting radiosity quality while keeping in the free land.

2 x channels loading into irrlicht , along withthe tga lightmap assigned to second, as... not only the (wonderful and cheap) uu+giles combination would benefit from this but...ANY high end package:

Max, LW, Maya, XSI, are probably (I know Max 6+panda, for sure, it recently export not only too, but many channels: also multitexturing!!(landscapes grass transitions, etc, you very well what i speak about, century man ;) ) )

all those packages load x , and surely most with second channel support.
I hope someday x files will work better in most engines (the initial step is always a pain, but at the end is triumph) as u see, allows at same time good character animation support, and lightmaps, all in one format (not to speak bout vertex colors support for extra lighting support, if the engine reads them, in overlayed subtle way over texturing...this can be done too with standard multitexturing, using multiply mode, or other, I think.)

I see it as the third important via for lightmaps.

Not only that. Blender has (and lately I am again helping Ben Omari to get a better exporter) now x exporter for dx8 and 7...the dx8 one have a long way to export lightmaps...mainly as he has enough work for bones work ok ;) , but also as....YET Blender does not support lightmaps!

But knowing Blender comunity, in the far future, it may come.

real solutions now are th elmts, fsrad thing. Hoping x 2 channels come at some point. Jox told me something bout it being maybe possible already, dunno.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

Well! I spent some time attempting get lightmapping with FSRad, but all my efforts was unsuccessfull :cry: :cry: :cry:
Can anyone write small tutorial, describing development process of 3D-scene, using FSRad. Which after all can be loaded into Irrlicht with CLMTSLoader ????

1) Which 3D Editor ????????????
2) Some steps, to get light into scene ?????????????
3) Converting it into .ENT (.ANT)
4) FSrad
5) Converting .OCT into .LMTS format
6) Loadind .LMTS into Irrlicht
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

After all i decided to make lightmaps with 3DSMAX (in Russia the CD with 3DSMAX costs not more then 3$ :twisted: ).

I used MAX5, and look what i get:

1) MAX rendering

2) Irrlicht rendering

Not bad!!! aaaa?!

To did it i have to use MAXSDK to write my own exporter in my format, i called it MY3D-format. Cool!!! :wink:
And write MY3D loader for the Irrlicht.
Thats all folks....

P.S. but i'm still waiting new version of LMTools...
Last edited by ZDimitor on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

can't see those screenshots.

I'm interested in lightmapping from max. Hope you can correct the ss

could you put up a tutorial on how you got your lightmapped version from max to irrlicht, including writing your own 3d format?

thnx!
Last edited by afecelis on Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.