how does irrlicht addXYZFile works?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
EvIl_DeViL

how does irrlicht addXYZFile works?

Post by EvIl_DeViL »

hi all! I wish to know how irrlicht add files and folder to his filesystem
and also make c/c++ filesystem think that the added files/folders really exists without writing them on the HD
e.g. when i use addzipfilearchive and i do fopen on an extracted file c++ think that file exist.
can someone write a c/c++ snippet plz (for example for an extracted file using zlib)? (i serched a lot in the irrlicht source but i didn't find anything useful)
many tnx!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Irrlicht does not make anything to let the real filesystem think that a virtually added file would exist. It simply uses its own file system access all the time. So you cannot use fopen or fscanf to read such files, you have to go via the IReadFile from Irrlicht.
EvIl_DeViL

Post by EvIl_DeViL »

i was suspecting that... so with c/c++ a thing like that can't be done?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ehm, using the Irrlicht file system means using C++ and Irrlicht to access the files. You just cannot use the usual system calls, but mus use Irrlicht filesystem calls. Maybe describe what you want to do, and we can help even better.
EvIl_DeViL

Post by EvIl_DeViL »

it doesn't have a lot to do with irrlicht.
i have to use mysql embedded and crypt the DB files into a zip archive and decript that archive without extracting it to disk, without recompiling mysql and without writing temp file.
(like irrlicht doesn't with addzipfilearchive too)
basically extract file in ram and let mysql access them.
i know... i'm a little bit crazy but i love to think god made the universe in c++ XD