Whats your favorite game/s (of all time)

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
darkliquid

Post by darkliquid »

X-Com: UFO Enemy Unknown
Quake 1
Frontier: Elite 2
Mr. Driller
Secret Of Mana
Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7 and Mystic Quest
Chrono Trigger
Super Probotector (Contra 3)
Battle For Wesnoth
Frozen Bubble

There have been virtually no recent games I have liked really, they have all sucked in one way or another because they are all too boring/easy/unoriginal.
http://www.darkliquid.net - Blog, art, poetry
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

Overall:
Dark Reign and its expansion Rise of the Shadowhand (DR2 is OK but it has some STUPID flaws and bugs)

Stupid fun at LANs:
Soldier of Fortune 2 + SOF2BARD or ManDown

Something different:
NetStorm

The ONLY RPG/Adventure game I ever bothered finishing:
Drakan : Order of the Flame
2.8GHz P4 with HT - 512MB DDR - ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB - Windows XP - VC++ 6 and VC++ 2003

Dark Reign 3 Home Page: http://darkreign3.notwhatyouthink.org/
Dark Reign 3 Forums: http://notwhatyouthink.org/darkreign3bb/
arras

Post by arras »

Oz>> no, I just took that nick without any maning. Only later I found that Arras is small town near Paris, but my nick actualy have nothing to do with it :wink:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

you guys r really taking it back to the old days. The only games I remember I liked from those days were the ones I had for my Atari 400 then Atari 800 and then (wow) my Atari 600XL: Donkey kong, popeye, pitfall Ironically many were ports of Atari's video game system, h ahaha . :D

some others I remembered when I got a PC:
Cyberia
Cybermage
Duke Nukem
HL... of course

those were pretty God damn good times!
Oz

Post by Oz »

@Captain_Kill
that looks interesting. I think the tactics engine from dark reign was really, really good. Better than C&C's etc at the time IMHO

Talking of technically impressive, did anyone like NOX?
I think the multiplayer let it down but it struck me as very well thought out (physics, AI etc). I think in someways it should have been alot more popular.

NetStorm: Oh yeah, that was quite original!
"When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw what heights civilization can attain.
When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height." -Keeper Annals
(Thief2: The Metal Age)
arras

Post by arras »

afecelis>>
those were pretty God damn good times!
Yea, that was great time when computer games were not so comercial yet and games were may be not so graphicaly great but definetly original, palyable and even educative.

...where those times are :?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

@arras:

yup, or better said: those times should be.

All the games we see nowadays are similar in one way or another. Software-hardware technology has evolved to a point in which you may create anything you like or tell a story anyway you want but we just keep repeating and repeating the same stereotypes of games one time after another (only more visually enhanced).

I definitely agree with you that the focus of games has to change to a different way of telling a story. Like you said, even in an educational way.

cheers!

:D
Oz

Post by Oz »

@arras
Yeah, also back then games were made by one lone-wolf guy in his bedroom in his spare-time. *sigh*

EDIT: Those were the days indeed and also thanks to open-source, free engines (big subject) it isnt forgotten. :)
Last edited by Oz on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw what heights civilization can attain.
When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height." -Keeper Annals
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I'm 32, and so I join strongly to all this nostalgy... ;)

The games I remember I liked more were (not in cornological or preference order) :

-Millenium : Return to earth (a 2d rol futuristic thing, quite simple in concept but inmersive)
-Antz
-4d Sport boxing (I think it was for 286 pcs...)
-sir fred (yay, back in the spectrum times)
-kyrandia, mokey island, Larry...
-Laser Squad
-Spectrum's flight simulator.
-yep, duke nukem..."What you're waitin' for...Christmash?" hehe
-death rally
-chuck yeager
-Spectrum's R-Type
-Spectrum's Cliff Hanger
-Dune
-Realms
-all the capcom machine games...etc... 1941, Street Fighter saga, etc...

But the fact is of these days I also have enjoied a lot Never Winter Nights(quite inmersive, good ambience, in gneral , very convincing, and a lot of depth), Unreal Tournament, every version... RTS games like Rise Of Nations, Age Of Empires...

But yep, mainly the plot, the story, is being lost, and originallity or personal touches, some more humoristic twists , less marketable stuff...would be desirable...

yet though I think some of today games have more of that from the past. Just that are not the ones who have the most powerful companies behind. also some interesting concepts, like the Sims. (I've never played, though)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Oz

Post by Oz »

@vermeer
Laser Squad: I think this was another by Julian Gollop? Turn-based and cool like rebelstar.

Duke Nukem: "come get some"

Oh and yeah, Unreal Tournament GOTYE (Game Of The Year Edition) Its not great but it wins because its hilarous! :)
Chasing your friends around with a bastard-sword while they are looking for the biggest guns. Lol.
Hours of fun, with all the mods too. (UT4E)

BTW you all can also comment on games too, I may have started this topic but I dont own it! ;)

EDIT:
But yep, mainly the plot, the story, is being lost, and originallity or personal touches, some more humoristic twists , less marketable stuff...would be desirable...
Yeah I still stand by Thief2. The story just blew me away. I WAS garret when I played that game.
I cant forget when (in a greenhouse) I found a spider and killed it, then read a scroll saying: (more or less)
"up until now the greenflies have been a pest, but my new pet "longdaddy" eats them virilantly" - longdaddy was the spider I just killed.
I felt really sorry for Longdaddy! Hehe

EDIT2:
The Sims: It has this funny way of cheering you up, its strange. I cant explain it.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

All my kids died or were taken away by the government in the sims. Then I started talking too much to one of my neighbors and I almost end up having a gay affair with him!!!! Anything you do or not do affects the game. It's pretty addictive. Then I got a bit tired of the normal flow and got myself some cheats... I went nuts!!!! Huge house, no owrk, jacuzzis, parties.... bankrupt in no time. Pretty much like real life. he heh eh

Yup, the sims... thumbs up. No wonder it's been one of the best selling games ever.

I also loved the sense of humor in NOLF2 (no one lives forever 2).

just remembered some other oldies:
space invaders
pac man
frogger
gallaga
defender
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

Tactics Engine = THE best strategy engine EVER. :D SO simple to mod and SO much fun! I've made a mod for DR that combines it with StarCraft, WarCraft 2 and even Red Alert 1 & 2! All in the one game!

It's VERY fun and crazy and the AI will rip to shreds most human players. It also gets funny reactions from people cause they wonder WTF i'm actually playing :twisted:

I'm aiming to make DR3 as easy to mod as DR. Although it's a hard task cause you could do just about anything with DR...
2.8GHz P4 with HT - 512MB DDR - ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB - Windows XP - VC++ 6 and VC++ 2003

Oz

Post by Oz »

@afecelis & the sims
You need to force your kids to study, thats why they get sent to boot-camp though im thinking you did the same as me.
Get the sims naked crack and watch Bella taking a bath all day :shock: lol
EDIT2: Bella is hot, but that family is pretty crazy. (The Goths, gotta love 'em)

@Captain_Kill
I'm aiming to make DR3 as easy to mod as DR. Although it's a hard task cause you could do just about anything with DR...
I need to keep an eye on this project for sure!

EDIT: I printed out the tactics engine manual, took loads of ink!
Last edited by Oz on Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

Oz:
HAHA :D That manual is VERY cool... Unfortunately Auran doesn't own the Tactics Engine and the new owners Activision haven't been to responsive to my enquiries. :( Gunna keep trying though :)

Oz

Post by Oz »

Oz:
HAHA That manual is VERY cool...
Its cool alright, I printed it out some timeago BTW. (Its on my bookshelf, somewhere)
Im not an expert on legal matters but if they constantly dont respond, do they not care if you call your project Dark Reign III?
I wouldnt worry, if they moan just rename it. :p

Reign of the Shadow,
Imperial dark, um

You know, Just my 0.2c