world editor.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
RayOfAsh

world editor.

Post by RayOfAsh »

What is involved in making a World Editor? You know, something to put it all together so you dont have to go and edit thousands of lines of code. Something to connect the maps and models together. Like 3D Game Studio, Serious Sams SeriousEditor, or UnrealEd. Something to make the models into a mesh and tell it what to do and where. Its so much easy'er to click a button out of a list of functions then typing out lines of code over and over for eatch one.
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

creating a world editor is alot of work. There are some projects like this that have been started, check the forums
Evil Mr Sock

Post by Evil Mr Sock »

Basically, what's involved is typing out all those lines of code, over and over, only much, much more so, because you're not planning for your game, you're planning for any game remotely close to yours ; and then, when you're all done, you haven't even started on your game yet.
------------------------------------------
A monkey poured coffee in my boots.
------------------------------------------
RayOfAsh

Post by RayOfAsh »

Ah but then when I get to the game its a lot quicker to make, plus I will have it there for when I want to make more games.

Bassicly what I need is a quick button to add in rooms/models and put them where I want instead of guessing the XYZ in an infinite void of darkness. And say I want a monster, I dont want to have to type out the lines of code for every monster, and then their behavior, I guess I can hold that in a class or something...

Besides, thats what most big game companys do, like Sierra and Half Life, they have WorldCraft/Hammer Editor.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

And you can use WorldCraft/Hammer to do maps for THIS engine too. Export your map from Worldcraft as a .map, run it though Quark (just open and save again) to fix a few bugs with Worldcraft, then download and run Q3bsp (I can't remember it's actual name) to compile a BSP that Irrlicht can run. You could, in fact, build the whole thing in Quark.

Post by Guest »

Yes, thats the map anyways, its a lot more difficult when it comes to placing spawns and whatnot.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Um, you can use Worldcraft to place spawn point, y'know. You're just responsible for loading in the entities and turning them into appropriate SceneNodes.
RayOfAsh

Post by RayOfAsh »

Flatline wrote:Um, you can use Worldcraft to place spawn point, y'know. You're just responsible for loading in the entities and turning them into appropriate SceneNodes.
Yes, I must learn how to do this. Is the irrlicht dll compatible with WorldCraft? I know Crystal Space and Torque are.
brc-not-logged

Post by brc-not-logged »

I think you should take a look at www.freeworld3d.org

I have been using it for quite some time now and it ROCKS, even though it costs a small amount, it is definatley awesome and worth every penny.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Compatible? Well, in a way. What you need to do is save your map in Worldcraft as a .map (ie uncompiled) and then compile that using q2bsp. There's a more indepth tutorial linked to on the links page of this site.
RayOfAsh

Post by RayOfAsh »

Edit: I know how to convert. Nevermind. Ill just mess around and see what I can do with this. Have you tried it yourself?
RayOfAsh

Post by RayOfAsh »

WorldCraft isnt free for commercial use, so i'll use QuArK. If only I could figure out how to integrate(sp?) IrrLicht with that... It uses Python so somebody could in theory make an addon. Crystal Space and Torque work with it.
test3d

Post by test3d »

WorldCraft isnt free for commercial use, so i'll use QuArK. If only I could figure out how to integrate(sp?) IrrLicht with that...
you need to export your map to quake3 format, compile your map with q3map2 and import the compiled bsp into Irrlicht.

here is a tutorial:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2829

hope it helps. :)
test3d

Post by test3d »

of course in the tutorial it use worldcraft, but QuArK can export also to quake3 maps (and you won't need to put your textures into wad files with wally, great advantage! :D )

Post by Guest »

I know how to do that, that wasnt what I meant.

Anyways, I got QuArK all setup now, and I dont know the first thing about making maps with it. I have Quake 3 and im trying to make a small map work with that before importing it into Irrlicht, but I cant get the sky to work!!! And I cant find ANY tutorials for level editing with Quark.