Zombie Survival Game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Luben

Zombie Survival Game

Post by Luben »

[Updated 2010/10/23]
New update! More levels, better interface, still a lot of work to do though!
The game is available @http://luben.se/ZSG, along with more screenies and a gameplay-video.
(Yeah, the page sucks. We'll fix that eventually)

[Updated 2010/10/12]

So it's gone some time since last i posted about this project here. In school we've gone trough 2 iterations in that time. The last iteration deadline was about two hours ago.

Since last we've added proper collisions with newton game dynamics. We also decided to made our own editor, which can be started by passing "DoMegaEditor!!!" as a parameter to the executable. Also, we rewrote most of the code we already had, in fact only a few lines are the same.

We wanted to integrate Sudi's deferred renderer in the game, but as we haven't been able to get in contact with him, we'll have to do with what we have already. Also, if anyone knows of a irrlicht-solution for skinning meshes on the gpu, please feel free to inform us of it :)

No new screenshots though, we haven't made any astounding breakthrough on the graphics. If there is popular demand, we can upload some.

The game is still available at http://Luben.se/zsg :)

[old post]

Hi!
Me and a mate are making a gayme in a course in school at the moment. We brainstormed about taking elements from Elasto Mania and combining with mechanisms from Portal and Liero, and somehow landed with making a zombie survival game inspired by the great manual of life composed by Max Brooks.
Anyway, this is the first alpha release. We discovered a lag source when adding a few more zombies than we had during testing&development, but the deadline is just a few hours away, so we're content with this for now.

http://luben.se/zsg
Last edited by Luben on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Project Announcement Rules say you need a screenshot here (yes, I'm using this to force you to show me some of your awesome screenshots :lol: )
Luben

Post by Luben »

If you'd have followed the link, you'd seen a pair ;]

The light is the muzzle flash, etc :P
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

:D

Game looks nice, I will try it today :)
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

aek wrote:Image
I literally lol'd. The title of the image makes it all that better :lol: But nice work, I'll be trying out the alpha as soon as I get back to my home computer.
sudi

Post by sudi »

nice. but the shotgun is way to powerfull. and the axe is underpowered.....
but nice alpha!! :D
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I'd have to say I think it would be better to be able to shoot in any direction at any time. This will make it more challenging and fun I think, I got kinda tired of just clicking on the zombies. But it's pretty entertaining so far, I'll be checking up on this every now and then to see how it's coming along
Luben

Post by Luben »

(update, see first post)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

it looks like grey aliens to me :P
Luben

Post by Luben »

Virion wrote:it looks like grey aliens to me :P
what, the zombies? =(
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Luben wrote:
Virion wrote:it looks like grey aliens to me :P
what, the zombies? =(
you probably need some textures for em... :?
Luben

Post by Luben »

They do have textures. Or are supposed to, at least. Do the texture fail to load, or could it be the poor lighting conditions that make them look gray?
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Luben wrote:They do have textures. Or are supposed to, at least. Do the texture fail to load, or could it be the poor lighting conditions that make them look gray?
oops sorry there are textures i didnt saw it :oops: yeah i think it's the lighting, way too bright and makes it look grey/white. the gameplay is fun tho :)
Luben

Post by Luben »

As mentioned, we'd like to use a deferred rendering solution. We decided on that about ten days ago, and just left the lighting as it is for until we'd get deferred rendering. Hope Sudi gets back soon, or we'll have to make it ourselves :)
The model normals are beyond repair as it is anyway :P Something else to fix when we get light again.

Regarding gameplay, thanks :)

What did you think of the interface? While displaying it at a course seminar today, the other students failed to read the instructions we provide in the tips/trix-window, for example. I also didn't read instructions too much while playing other games though, so i'd like to know what you think :) (I'm blindly assuming you didn't feel stressed or pressured into playing the game and might've taken your time examining the interface before wanting to murder tons of dudes ;] )

(off topic, "f*cked up" renders as "beyond repair" on these forums? =p)
Luben

Post by Luben »

(updated, see 1'st post)