Scene events in Irrlicht?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
cemedias

Scene events in Irrlicht?

Post by cemedias »

Hello all, I have a quick question for you. I was wondering how to go about handling user events from inside the scene. For example, if the player collides with a specific object, say a door that signifies the end of a level, I want to catch that event then end the current scene and start the next. Can I do this using onEvent? I know the irrlicht event manager handles key and gui events, but can it handle scene events as well? If not, do you have any tips on the best way to go about handling these events.

I don't know if this is important, but:
I am using DelEd to make my maps (for a first person shooter), then uploading them into IrrEdit 1.5 to organize the scenes.

Thanks
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

AFAIK irrlicht can't handle scene events, you'll have to implement it on your own making some kind of trigger system :wink:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

I'm glad you brought attention to this! :D

As I was reading over the source a few weeks ago I had realized the same thing.

I have too many projects going on right now:

integrating native OpenAL into my project
integratine the nice IrrODE wrapper into my project
and developing a plant generator based on fractal geometry and step nodes.

After I get one of the above done (probably gonna be OpenAL) I am going to start working on a custom scene event handler, it should be essentially the same as gui/keyboard/etc events, only I will need develop some sort of generic GameObject class and most likely some GameEvent class as well.

The main thing about your (and my) question is that it is really deviating from the graphics portion of game developing (handled by Irrlicht) and getting into game logic, which itself probably requires writing some sort of 'glue' core game engine to hold all things like graphics and sound together and handles those kinds of events.