SoA - Source code [stopped]

Post those lines of code you feel like sharing or find what you require for your project here; or simply use them as tutorials.
Iyad

SoA - Source code [stopped]

Post by Iyad »

What it is?
SoA (Soldier of Allah) is a first-person shooter game. It contains no story nor characters, its a round based game where the goal is to protect a humanitarian aid convoy in destination to Gaza, in hope to save some innocent lives.
Why the project was stopped?
I realised that making a game of this type would be amoral. Actually, the intention is ok, but the game idea isn't. Proning destruction and violence would only create more violence and political tensions, which is not my goal. My ultimate goal was a response to the misrepresentation of islam and arabs in video games, but doing a game myself on the IDF would be illogic, i should actually fight a bad deed with a good one, and not the contrary.
And?
I don't think I wasted my whole time in this project. I learned alot from it and I wanted to share what ive written with this community, who helped me alot.
Here is the source code and a small demo :
AI, PHYSICS :http://www.filefactory.com/file/b321g69 ... Source.rar (12mb)
GAMEPLAY :http://www.mediafire.com/?nfb472nneotlj3d (4mb)
License?
In the main directory. To resume it, make whatever you want with this.
Hope this will help you designing your projects.

Iyad.
Last edited by Iyad on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
#include <Iyad.h>
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Thanks for sharing Iyad. Could you please upload the media content of "Could not load mesh, because file could not be opened: : e:\3d models\map1\models\finished\mapmesh.irrmesh etc(...)" so we ca take a look at the demo without compiling the project please?

And why don`t you simply change the gameplay idea a bit, so it doesn`t feel so "amoral" and keep working on it? Looks like you spent some time on it, don`t just give up. :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

I'm sorry for the error, im at school now so ill try to fix this as fast as possible.

And for the game idea, I dont think I can change it. Palestine and Israel are in war, so im very limited when it comes to this aspect of the game. The presence of weapon adds a violent dimension to the game and will surely not help solving anyhting. Games like this are poorly constructive, the only games I can permit myself to develop need to have some kind of educational purpose, otherwise they get completly useless.

Thanks for the comment shadowslair.

EDIT :I changed the link for download. Also, I know it could be a bit messy, I will work on a small documentation explaining how the system works and post this later.
Last edited by Iyad on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#include <Iyad.h>
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

(POST REMOVED BY IYAD)
Last edited by Iyad on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#include <Iyad.h>
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

man, with a title like "Soldiers of Allah" you would get killed or at least flamed by some fanatic. Pretty outgoing in terms of title<->gameplay for a developer who is a muslim (just a guess). TBH I think shooter games don't harm the player, shooting at things and people gives you an entirely different feeling I'd say. When you hit a soft squishy person on Call of Duty, you get a "oh yes" feel-good factor that you have hit a target. Much better feeling than if you hit a targetboard on a shooting range. However if I was to shoot a human in real life or even an animal, I would not feel good at all when hitting the target. I feel happy and interested when cutting up humans on gears of ward with my chainsaw, with all the blood spraying everywhere. When I cut up a live fish for christmas in my country and I am not even merely interested in the actions I am performing (stunning it with a mallet, upon failure you beat the brains out of it and then cut it up). The violence in games is good or even funny, in "Army of Two" I enjoyed shooting at civilians and even kids running away from me, I found it funny. However I found that the same scene in a movie, where a child had their hands blown off by some projectile, had made me depressed. Even what happened in "jackal" made me very uncomfortable (a guy is told to hold a pack of cigarettes out and another tries to shoot at it to see if the first one calibrated the gun correctly, his hand is blown off). The people and things in games are depersonalized, we shoot at innnocents because we cant in real life. It's not immoral to massacre a village of kids and women in a game because they dont exist. These activities cannot harm one individual's conscience provided he has some degree of empathy, people who do these things in real life do them because they have the power to escape the consequences and no empathy towards their victims AT ALL.

The only thing I find wrong with games like Call of Duty is that they may promote racism and can possibly make young people more hostile towards the "evil" factions in the game (iran, etc. etc.). Games totally NOT based on current conflicts or where the story is told from both perspectives are totally okay (being able to play as the opposing faction doesnt count, there has to be a campaign on the other faction). We cannot really see any bad influences of WWII and sci-fi shooters, can we? Unless the people playing them are toddlers, it should have no negative effect on them.

There have been cases where games like GTA have been accused of making young people into criminals (someone killed someone to see if its like in GTA), but cmon, who wouldnt blame anything for their crime? But lets assume that GTA has really influenced them into committing the crime (which I think is unlikely), these guys didnt have a conscience like the nutters who massacre villages in africa (devils on horseback). Therefore its not GTA that should be banned but people with beyond repair moral compasses should be banned from playing GTA.

I think its much dangerous to show normal sex in games than to show REALLY beyond repair violence, because a human doesnt have a "kill-drive" showing images of violence doesnt turn anyone on (unless they are mentally ill) as opposed to sex. People generally dont have the URGE to kill and showing them images of such things will not make them any more likely to act upon the URGE (which is not existent anyway).
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Hey I thought this thread was about a game?? Not Ethics.

And all though shooting innocent children and people in game is something different in the real world. People who would under certain circumstances do it in the real world also tend to do it all the time in game. Ask my dad, he was an Officer in the Bundeswehr during the 80's and he has seen his share of nasty poop happening. Broken Mortar fuses..., Tank accidents, smelly mauled dead bodies.... All without ever seeing action.:wink:

And please you have no Idea... I live in Africa. And most stuff here is far worse than you can imagine. Not to be racist, but the little kiddies running around here quite often learn like monkey's, monkey see monkey do.
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

I dont know why you talking about this guys... I only wanted to post some code...

--------OFF TOPIC-------------
shooting at things and people gives you an entirely different feeling I'd say.
Yes your right...Still, violent video games affect the brain. I dont need to argue on this, there are already tons of studies and scientific facts. Actually i didnt say fps games are bad, i play alot of violent games lol, all i said is that I shouldnt develop a game of this type, because making it would be ammoral.
And all though shooting innocent children and people in game is something different in the real world.
The game was not about shooting innocent children and people :? ...
-------OFF TOPIC--------------
Hey I thought this thread was about a game?? Not Ethics.
You are right. I posted this in this section only to share the code to those who need it. Forget about the game concept and ethics.

Thanks for commenting.
#include <Iyad.h>
yaten

Post by yaten »

hi sir iyad,

We respect whatever your reason for stopping the project may it be personal, political, religious or social. We hope you find whatever it is that will make you happy and be at peace. Thank you very much for sharing the work you have done, rest assured, we will treasure it and we will remember you as a person who have been helpful to us.

EDIT:
whoops, i'm 2 minutes late on my post. T_T
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

devsh wrote:(rant)
I had no idea one could write a whole novel over the name of this game :shock:
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

whatever, I'm sorry I realize I made no sense at all...