Boolean Mesh Manipulation

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Blue Hampster

Boolean Mesh Manipulation

Post by Blue Hampster »

Hey there, recently, I have been getting back into irrlicht, the real C++ one, not the .net wrapped one. Have discovered so many more features. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew any Mesh Manipulation techniques that could be used to do an A subtract B boolean function between two meshes to remove where they intersect. If anyone knows how it can be done, that would be absolutely great.
REDDemon
Developer

no

Post by REDDemon »

a 3d modeling program like blender is more suitable for you. making an algorithm that do booloean operation on meshes can be hard. irrlicht doesn't support that feature. you have to write your own function that access to 2 different mesh buffers.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

To do boolean operations on meshes you'd need actual solids, but Irrlicht deals in triangle lists only. You'd need your own loaders and to hold the meshes in a solid geometry format, then to convert to triangle lists when you want to render them.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Blue Hampster

Post by Blue Hampster »

ah, didn't realize that's how it worked outside of 3d modelling programs. I am working on a way to append the triangles of a second object that intersect with the first object.

Where they occupy the same space, the triangles are removed from the first completely, and the intersecting triangles are inserted from the second object during collision