why not as good?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
The Hellcat

why not as good?

Post by The Hellcat »

hey all,
everyone's been posting about how Irrlicht is not as good as other 3d engines. What exactly makes it not as good?
HTML/CSS/Javascript/ASP/PHP/SQL/XML/QBasic
Next Up: C++
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

There are some topics with related contents, but for me Irrlicht is a good choice.
Well, still are some requested features, but the engine is in development. Another reason maybe is, that Irrlicht is not a game engine, while most users wants to make a games. I'm sure, that soon will be a very useful tools for game creating with Irrlicht. I'm working on one tool, ZDimitor made good lightmap exporter from 3dMAX with soft shadows, afecelis made good tutorials for Relo compiling. There are many of classes for using of physics Newton/by shick/,... can't sign all..

I've read somewhere in forum that doom3 engine is better :wink: But I cannot start Doom 3 on my PC :P

So, let's see anothers opinions
The Hellcat

Post by The Hellcat »

Ah...so basically ppl are just too lazy and impatient? lol

when i first initialized Irrlicht with the examples, i thought it looked beautiful.

The ability to customize it and make your own "game engine" really kicks butt...quake's butt...hehe

I couldnt see any reason that Irrlicht should be thought of less than the other 3d engines, b/c i think it has amazing potential.
HTML/CSS/Javascript/ASP/PHP/SQL/XML/QBasic
Next Up: C++
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

It is true but Irrlicht is a nice engine to both start with and then go on to use. When you get more confident there is NX so you can help make the engine better. Basically Irrlicht is pretty young compared to Ogre which IMO is pretty much the other alternative to Irrlicht.

Despite what some may say, I found Ogre a lot more intimidating and less supported than Irrlicht due to lack of documentation when I started and I don't want to switch now the engine is starting to get interesting. Really, a full scale project will take between 1-3 years to complete and that is plenty of time for Irrlicht to mature so I don't see a reason for myself to switch, that doesn't mean you should.

Different strokes for different folks I think. Ogre is certainly much better graphically but I like Irrlicht and I want to stick it out, maybe some will say that's a pretty shitty reason not to switch and that it is pure lazyness but I'd like to think it wasn't. You should make your own mind up IMO, not rely on what we say or think.
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

depends on what you want:

I wanted an engine thats easy - here is Irrlicht better than all other i tried !

I wanted an engine that does not use many other things/libs/open source projects - here again Irrlichts is the best, i tried, cause Irrlichst normally dont use other things. You can use other things like Niko did with audiere in the Tech-Demo, but if you want you only have to download Irrlicht and thats all !