Inspiration... how to get it

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
omaremad
Competition winner

Inspiration... how to get it

Post by omaremad »

I just finished work on a simple light manager that hopefully will bring restriction free lighting to irrlicht users, problem is that I need a demo scene before i release it for testing how far i can push the tech.

I can use blender and create high to low poly assets, the problem is... on the art side when I open blender I get a blank mind and have no idea what to model.

So the question is, how do you guys get inspiration for your scenes? I cant think of any interesting scenes to model.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

When showing off technical details you shouldn't focus too much on the art aspect, you should try to build a scene which intensifies the technical aspect of the feature you're trying to show

When it comes to lighting you could use a lot of random objects with different material settings, or a dynamically lit city scene by night

And restriction-free lighting is a rather broad term don't you think? You can never get rid of the fact that in a forward renderer you'll always have a complexity of O(m*n) for lighting, turning off lights based on certain conditions, 'merging' lights or even calculating disabled lights into a GI factor can create the illusion of having a lot of lights with a relatively good speed (although it depends on the management algorithm used), but a G-buffer based setup as in deferred or inferred lighting (and variations) will probably always have the upper hand when it comes to a high amount of dynamic lights

A good light manager is always a good initiative though, it can certainly help in handling your light budget to squeeze that little bit of extra performance out of your forward renderer
kazymjir

Re: Inspiration... how to get it

Post by kazymjir »

omaremad wrote: So the question is, how do you guys get inspiration for your scenes? I cant think of any interesting scenes to model.
LSD ! ! !
fmx

Post by fmx »

lol, I think that would make things worse.

Maybe NZT would be a better option :wink:
(if you dont know what it is, watch Limitless)

Seriously though, inspiration rarely comes when you need it.
You could always search on youtube or net for similar demos and see what you could do similarly or differently
roelor

Post by roelor »

maybe something like a fire fight with lights attached to bullets.
Or a rocket that flies trough hallways. Rocket has flame that emits light.

I usually go look up images etc if I want inspiration. Or watching some movies. playing some games.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok... looked out of the window and saw a road so made that... might make an arch vis type scene
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

What is that ?? roadkill ? Bambi casarol ... lol
code happens
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

its a head model i use for testing, took it out and made some props for the scene... might make a industrial type setting
"Irrlicht is obese"

ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

To get inspiration, you just gotta get out and start living life :wink:

Also, for me, listening to music and just thinking about whatever comes to my mind works too
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!