Android Port

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Is there a different Android Irrlicht version? I thought that it's just the java files to wrap the C++ calls?! Don't know what would be necessary there.
tonic

Post by tonic »

We just released Stair Dismount for Android:
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... t.dismount

Go get it, it's free, and tell all your friends. ;-)

It uses Irrlicht, just like the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad version (same codebase). We have our own lowlevel framework though where we just have put irrlicht on top of, using the OpenGL ES driver from the ogl-es branch.
jakobsg

Post by jakobsg »

Hi.

I was wondering whether there is going to be python bindings available to irrlicht in the andoid version. Could somebody cast some light on this issue?

Best regards Jakob simon-Gaarde
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Probably yes, as the android version is basically not different to the base Irrlicht version. Though I'm not sure at which point between SDK and NDK the python binding would come in. But I highly doubt that yet another language would make this any faster...
skreamz_

Post by skreamz_ »

the ndk (native dev kit) compiles using a set of headers depending what android version you set project to in eclipse ()

right click project->properties->android->project build target
and set it to at least 1.6

the opengl headers dont come with 1.5 :p
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

This is really good, can I program the game in Java or does it have to be C++?
skreamz_

Post by skreamz_ »

as far as i know c++, unless you want to JNI to call c++ functions.

would a already working Java Irrlicht wrapper work??
blackMasoon

Post by blackMasoon »

One question...
I've managed to compile the source with:

Code: Select all

../../../ndk-build
But at the end I receive:

cannot find -libGLESv1_CM
I'm trying to put those libs everywhere but it still can't find them. I have:

LOCAL_LDLIBS := -libGLESv1_CM -ldl -llog -libGLESv2
in my Android.mk file. Where should I put those lib files?
erwincoumans

Re:

Post by erwincoumans »

tonic wrote:We just released Stair Dismount for Android:
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... t.dismount

Go get it, it's free, and tell all your friends. ;-)

It uses Irrlicht, just like the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad version (same codebase). We have our own lowlevel framework though where we just have put irrlicht on top of, using the OpenGL ES driver from the ogl-es branch.
Very cool.

Is this low level framework turska? If it is something else, do you mind open sourcing your low level framework? It is quite hard to find some open source simple framework that compiles out-of-the-box on Windows, IOS and Android.

Thanks!
Erwin
tonic

Re: Re:

Post by tonic »

erwincoumans wrote: Is this low level framework turska? If it is something else, do you mind open sourcing your low level framework? It is quite hard to find some open source simple framework that compiles out-of-the-box on Windows, IOS and Android.
No, turska is a 2D drawing & imgui library, which works on top of the Irrlicht API (or just normal OpenGL as well).

The mentioned low level framework is proprietary, and possibility of releasing it is not entirely up to me, while I can of course discuss this with my colleagues..

I know a fellow developer has open sourced his framework though, which seems to fit your wishes. It is called Proton SDK: http://www.protonsdk.com.
erwincoumans

Post by erwincoumans »

tonic wrote: The mentioned low level framework is proprietary, and possibility of releasing it is not entirely up to me, while I can of course discuss this with my colleagues..
Please do so and let us know.
I know a fellow developer has open sourced his framework though, which seems to fit your wishes. It is called Proton SDK: http://www.protonsdk.com.
Proton uses STL and BOOST which is not properly supported by the official NDK r5, and even when using the Crystal fork of the NDK it doesn't work. In other words, it is very hard to get that up and running for Android.

Is there any simple tutorial/step-by-step description how to compile the Irrlicht GLES branch under Windows for Android?
Thanks,
Erwin
tonic

Post by tonic »

erwincoumans wrote: Proton uses STL and BOOST which is not properly supported by the official NDK r5, and even when using the Crystal fork of the NDK it doesn't work. In other words, it is very hard to get that up and running for Android.
Sorry, I was under impression that it used only some kind of subset which would work properly with the official NDK.
erwincoumans wrote: Is there any simple tutorial/step-by-step description how to compile the Irrlicht GLES branch under Windows for Android?
Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such tutorial, but then again, I haven't really followed closely how any "official" Android port is advancing.

In fact it is probably quite a lot different thing depending if the app is targeted for SDK version 2.1/2.2 (requiring Java stub) or the latest 2.3 instead, which allows using "native activity", i.e. do it all in C/C++ code.

Our internal platform code has currently a fair bunch of JNI glue to work with the Java side, so it doesn't require the 2.3 level OS. Stair Dismount's Android version requires 2.2 though, and our stats show that a bit over 60% of sessions are still run with 2.2.x versions.
blackMasoon

Re: Android Port

Post by blackMasoon »

I must repeat my question... does anybody know where should I put those libGLES libs for project to build?
skreamz_

Re: Android Port

Post by skreamz_ »

blackMasoon wrote:I must repeat my question... does anybody know where should I put those libGLES libs for project to build?
i basically have if you read my last few posts in this thread
skreamz_

Post by skreamz_ »

erwincoumans wrote:
tonic wrote: The mentioned low level framework is proprietary, and possibility of releasing it is not entirely up to me, while I can of course discuss this with my colleagues..
Please do so and let us know.
Proton uses STL and BOOST which is not properly supported by the official NDK r5, and even when using the Crystal fork of the NDK it doesn't work. In other words, it is very hard to get that up and running for Android.

Is there any simple tutorial/step-by-step description how to compile the Irrlicht GLES branch under Windows for Android?
Thanks,
Erwin
im currently using both stl and boost in my irrlicht project without any problems.

i currently use linux, but ill try compile it in windows tonight and let you know how it was done.