2D Effects Feedback

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

2D Effects Feedback

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I have one more thing I'd like some feed back on. I've been working on a puyo puyo clone, and recently added a lot of effects to the blob clearing and would like to know what I could change about it to make it better. Here's the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4241114/EffectsTest.zip

Use the arrow keys to move your blob around, a and s to rotate, and down speeds it up. If you don't know how to play, watch the computer on the right side. Mainly watch for the effects when a group is cleared, and tell me what you think
shadowslair

Re: 2D Effects Feedback

Post by shadowslair »

On XP crashes at the beginning, when the blobs show up and start falling. Too lazy to track it right now.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

It worked for me on wine. The effects look good to me, though I'm not much of an artist myself so my opinion here is quite worthless.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Your opinion still matters to me, even if you aren't an artist. As for the XP crash, I'm trying to solve that right now. The network card in my xp machine stopped working though, so that make installing Visual C++ pretty hard.
fmx

Post by fmx »

Works fine on Win7, the effects look pretty decent for this kind of game IMO.

What platforms(s) are you targeting, and will it be commercial?
Depending on the answers to those questions, there might not be any need to 'make it better'

If anything, I'd say the background looks pretty bland and should be replaced by something a little more colourful and interesting
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I'm targeting windows platforms, and no it won't be commercial. This has been my pet project for a while that I work on whenever I get bored of my main project at the time. I'm working on the background as well, and it will be quite a bit different once all the gameplay items are added onto it. But I do agree it could be made more interesting, it's just difficult to think of something that isn't distracting and that fits it with the theme I have in mind (medieval fantasy)
cobra

Post by cobra »

It works for me on Windows 7 64-bit.

The effects are great, and I actually felt compelled to play a few extra games. It's good when a game can do that. Good job. :)

Make sure you include different difficulty levels for the opponent. Right now he's kind of a pro. :wink:
Josiah Hartzell
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Yeah, I've had trouble making the ai convincingly stupid. I think I'm going to scrap the current system, and have the ai be script based. And thanks, this has been my first foray into real 2D game art, and, not being an artist, I wasn't sure how appealing it was.