id Software releases Doom 3 source code

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: id Software releases Doom 3 source code

Post by CuteAlien »

Radikalizm wrote: I'd be careful with trying to learn things from production code, you can't really expect a high quality

I think we'd be able to learn much more by reading documentation of these formats or systems
Don't underestimate Carmack. I haven't read yet his c++ code (although I 've seen posts from others which like it), but I remember I was really, really impressed by his c code in the past which was one of the most readable sources I've ever seen.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

CuteAlien wrote:
Radikalizm wrote: I'd be careful with trying to learn things from production code, you can't really expect a high quality

I think we'd be able to learn much more by reading documentation of these formats or systems
Don't underestimate Carmack. I haven't read yet his c++ code (although I 've seen posts from others which like it), but I remember I was really, really impressed by his c code in the past which was one of the most readable sources I've ever seen.
Can't say that I've ever read any of his code, but I think you can agree that in general you should always watch out with production code
Could be that Carmack's code is different, he holds quite some fame within the game dev industry, so you could be right
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Don't know - most good (and some horrible) code I've seen so far was used in production. Where else would you find professional code?
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

CuteAlien wrote:Don't know - most good (and some horrible) code I've seen so far was used in production. Where else would you find professional code?
The production code I've seen was rather messy, mostly because of deadlines, people trying to re-invent the wheel and weird bugfixes which seemed to work but which didn't really make a lot of sense

Could be that I just have the bad luck of encountering really nasty code, but I try to stay away from production code as much as possible because of it :D
Last edited by Radikalizm on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I usually write sphagetti code but when I started getting paid... even though the code wasn't commented it made a lot of perfect sense.
fmx

Post by fmx »

Nice! 8)
I dont like production code either, I only use stuff like this for quick reference and ideas
hendu

Post by hendu »

The Doom3 code has been pretty nice so far. So was Q3 when it was released, but of course it's now much nicer with years of work by the io folks.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

hendu wrote:The Doom3 code has been pretty nice so far. So was Q3 when it was released, but of course it's now much nicer with years of work by the io folks.
For me q3 code was pretty much unreadable. Guess it's because I never coded in C. :roll:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

aaammmsterdddam wrote:maybe I should compile this and skip buying the game ^^'
Frankly, I wish you would stop posting these contentless messages. Please! Just stop!

If you *bothered* to read the thread with the links you would see that you get no assets. To run the game you still need the CD.

Now stop with the static. If you don't want to read in full, then don't bother writing. It is a pointless waste of time for the rest of us.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

mongoose7 wrote:
aaammmsterdddam wrote:maybe I should compile this and skip buying the game ^^'
Frankly, I wish you would stop posting these contentless messages. Please! Just stop!

If you *bothered* to read the thread with the links you would see that you get no assets. To run the game you still need the CD.

Now stop with the static. If you don't want to read in full, then don't bother writing. It is a pointless waste of time for the rest of us.
Seconded

Wanted to post this earlier on, but didn't want to come over as rude
Now that the cat's out of the bag I can't do anything else but agree

128 posts (at time of writing) when you're nearly a month on these forums is not normal
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

And all gets worse because of his username. An admin really should change it to look less spammy. It doesn't look good if a new user has a look at the forums and sees all the threads with his name.
"Whoops..."
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

I can have whatever username I please.
and second. I am aware that I still need the CD... my friend sent me an ISO of his CD, but I have no cd key....

128 posts in a month is normal.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Virror

Post by Virror »

Some ppl just like to talk ; )
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

aaammmsterdddam wrote:I can have whatever username I please.
Of course you can. It just looks ugly and like you're a spammer. Well. You are.
"Whoops..."
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

In the olden haydays of chat rooms, there was a term for ppl who post just for the sake of posting and anoying just about every body who doesnt have patience of a saint... unfortunatly I can not remember the term at the moment but it will come back to me... I'm having a sinior moment.

As for his username and habit, I am imagining this little kid (16 yo) eating pot brownies... and wont share (jk).
code happens