[SOLVED] Convert from right-handed coordinate system

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
ItsBritneyBitch

Re: [SOLVED] Convert from right-handed coordinate system

Post by ItsBritneyBitch »

hendu wrote:Are you writing the compiler yourself, or just outputting .map and using one of the existing ones?
Yep. I'm going to write the BSP compiler and the PVS and Radiosity programs too. But the output BSP is going to be rather different than Q3's. I wanted to make a modern format that would suit my needs. BSPs are still relevant today because of all the optimizations you can do for physics, networking and radiosity calculations. But it is not that much suitable for current hardware rendering-wise, so I'm planning on making an hybrid portal-bsp map format.
And of course I will release my source code once I get it working :D.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

maybe you would want to create a scene node that performed the whole process :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
booe

Post by booe »

Huhu. I'm impressed. I tought that I'm the only one crazy enough to write BSP compiler and lightmapper for q3 maps from scratch. ^ ^
But you seem to be having pretty childish problems. Conversion between coordinate systems is trivial. Altrough.... I remember that Q3 used plane equation which looked like this:

Ax + By + Cz - D = 0

instead of classic

Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

So you *MIGHT* have to negate plane distances to get it right. The issue is no longer revelant in Doom3, where they have their own math classes (including idPlane).

btw what do you have so far?