GeoMipMap test - UPDATE

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
nutterx

GeoMipMap test - UPDATE

Post by nutterx »

Hi Guys

Well the new GeoMipMapping scene node is coming along and i need a few people to test this small download.

Don't get too excited because it ain't running in irrlicht yet :wink: ..the demo uses opengl for rendering ...there is also no VBO support in this, it uses immediate mode for rendering so i can add it easier to irrlicht :D

All i want to know is 1)if it works and doesn't crash 2) what sort of frame rates you are getting and on what sort of hardware.

I have only tested it on windows XP (with SP2) and with 2 video cards ..9800pro and an X300 ...the X300 gets around 220-260fps and the 9800pro got between 350-500fps ....also there is no texture and no detail maps nothing like that, only the heightmap (which is 1025x1025 and is from farcry) ...i am using a patch size of 17x17.

I have also rendered it using "glPolygonMode( GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_LINE )" so you can get a good look at the GeoMipMapping in action, it is pretty obvious when it changes from the diff LOD's.

it uses the normal W S A D for movement and to use the mouse hold the left button down and you can steer with the mouse. ESC quits.

http://nutterx.customer.netspace.net.au/downloads/

Cheers Guys
Last edited by nutterx on Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
brcolow

Post by brcolow »

First of all I am really glad to see you are still working on this mate :).

Now for the test:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
2.19 GHZ - AMD Athlon
448 MB of Ram

Geoforce 4 MX 420

25 FPS. Pretty low, but, that is A LOT of triangles, lol.
G'Day.
bal

Post by bal »

Wonderful work. For my system specs => signature.
I get 400+ FPS all the time. 400 is the minimum, on most parts it's 500-600-700.
If you could integrate this one in Irrlicht(NX), it would be great :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
zola

Post by zola »

Intel P4,3GHz, 1GB Ram, GForceFX 5700 256MB.
WinXP SP2

Crashes right on load :cry:
quark

Post by quark »

Intel P4HT 2.8 Ghz, 2GB ram, Intel Extreme Graphics, WINXP SP1.

90 - 110 FPS.

Nice work. Like bal said, integration with IrlichtNX would be great!
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

zola wrote:Intel P4,3GHz, 1GB Ram, GForceFX 5700 256MB.
WinXP SP2

Crashes right on load :cry:
damn i ain't got any half decent nvidia cards at work to test it with either :cry: ....i will have a good look around and see what i can find and than try and track down what is going on.
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

i'm currently waiting for my new 6800 card to arrive, will give it a test as soon as it does.
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

o yeah i almost forgot to mention i am not sure what i will do about irrlichtnx or nx++ or wuteva the hell it is called, i have not been around irrlicht that long so i don't really know what the go is with the different versions but from what i have read in the forums it appears irrlichtnx is a break off from irrlicht and appears headed in a different direction than irrlicht. ATM i have no real allegiance to either but nx++ looks like it is going through alot of changes and who knows when it will ever be in a stable condition so i think i will stick to releasing the geomipmap stuff to irrlicht only.
Electron

Post by Electron »

when ur finished, post this on the NX forums. I'm sure someone will integrate it. Great work. (I'd test it if my motherboard hadn't just died).
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
brcolow

Post by brcolow »

I respect your decision but I think that is a really poor choice. IrrlichtNX is being refactored (and will be done in about 4 days) to be more stable and easier to build on. It includes ~50 patches to Irrlicht that make it faster, better and more stable. I really think you should rethink this decision. Oh, and by the way, NX++ (what the refactor will be called) has CVS. Irrlicht doesn't.

Please reconsider! Besides the terrain scene node won't change, it will be the same to implement in both engines, So, please! :)
G'Day.
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

so to try and help me get my head around what is happening over @ NX ....irrlichtnx is just irrlicht with some added patches, NX++ will be a new implementation that is based from irrlichtnx and eventually irrlichtnx will die and nx++ will be the only available download??? ..will nx++ be compatible with irrlicht?, like will the scenemanager get a re-write or anything else like that? ....at present the new terrain node will get called from the scenemanger in pretty much the exact same fashion as the current terrain scene node for E.G

virtual IGeoMipTerrainSceneNode* irr::scene::ISceneManager::addGeoMipTerrainSceneNode (ISceneNode * parent,s32 id,video::IImage * texture,video::IImage * heightmap, video::ITexture * detailmap,s32 PatchSize=17)[pure virtual]

none of that is finalised at this stage. So basically what i am asking how much difference will there be with this new NX++ compared to the standard irrlicht??

Like i said i have no allegiance to any of them, i would just like to clear it all up because i don't really want to have to try and make 2 or even 3 different ports of this and make it work on all the different irrlicht's. irrlicht--> irrlichtnx is not a problem but irrlicht-->nx++ appears it will have some differnences ...maybe i have misinterrupted nx++???
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

aah ok i just had a look at the nx++ site and the nx++ API that had there to download ....looks pretty close to the original irrlicht ....really it won't matter which one i release this code for, from what i have just looked at on nx++ site it will work on both irrlicht and nx++ ...so even if i release to irrlicht only it should not be too hard if anyone from the nx++ project wants to transfer it over to nx++.
mm765

Post by mm765 »

you got all of that completely right !
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

Just an Update for the few who where having troubles

ZOLA:
I found a 5700 (with 256mb ram) and i installed the latest forceware drivers(66.93) and it worked fine so that blows my nvidia theory out the water :wink:

brcolow:

That framerate you are getting is really really bad, i also tested it with an old TNT2 card and i was getting 20-30 odd fps :?

With your prob zola i am not going to bother looking into it, not worth the hassle, if it suffers the same prob under irrlicht than sure, i will look more into it than.
dingo

Post by dingo »

It crashes for me on start up.

Win2K SP4
P4 2.8
NVidia 5900XT (128mb)
All latest drivers etc.

Only funny stuff I have is beta drivers etc for shaders etc.

This is what I get:
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-