Animated Meshes and their animations

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
BingoPlayer

Animated Meshes and their animations

Post by BingoPlayer »

Hey guys ...

I am making FPS game using Irrlicht DX 11. Every good fps game has a good models and so on and so on ...

Can anybody tell me , how can i implement some 3d models i.e. 3ds max.

I will load mesh of soldier but soldier need a weapon so how can i solve this ?

Thank you ... :D
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Animated Meshes and their animations

Post by Mel »

Mmmm... Wait a bit for the DX driver to improve the animated meshes...
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

agreed animated meshes are barely suported in the last dx11 driver so unless you wanna write your own animation handelers or fix them you will have a hard time
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Animated meshes would need of a new skinned mesh buffer system and at least another vertex structure (for instance, through a custom vertex system), mainly because the newer drivers should be able to keep everything static on the video card (only static buffers, and the least possible dynamic buffers, being 0 the ideal amount)

Currently skinned meshes in Irrlicht could only be achieved with dynamic buffers in DX11/GL versions, and those have low performance

If it was posible to split the bone animation system from the skinning system, that would make the implementation of hardware skinning systems easier, because skinned meshbuffers would only depend on the meaningful matrices, and would ignore the rest. And the current system would still be useful, because the loaders would load the skinning information, and through it, it would be posible to build the new skinned meshbuffers. The major drawback of the hardware skinning is that there are bone limitations. Perhaps a vertex could only have 4 bone influences and a skinned meshbuffer could only load a limited amount of matrices, but those are the limitations to gain performance versus loading the whole meshes every frame.In comparison, it is worth the effort.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
paviya

Post by paviya »

Thnak you Mel .It's infomative
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

btw we found a fix for skinned mesh in dx11 you just need to make sure your texture are power of 2. the Only issue is that they are gonna be slow until we create a new animation system