Quake Entities and other map stuff

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Morrog

Quake Entities and other map stuff

Post by Morrog »

How much does Irrlicht actually load from a BSP and/or what data does BSP contain about a Quake3 map?

One of the first problems I want to solve is animated textures in a level. I believe there's some options that allow me to enable a texture as "animated" in Quark, though I can't find them again at the moment. Pending I find the options again, will this data be transmitted to the resulting BSP when I export to a MAP and compile that to BSP with q3map2build? And if so, does Irrlicht do anything with it?
I searched the Irrlicht sources and found no calls to createTextureAnimator outside of the SceneManager, so I don't think Irrlicht does anything like I want.
But if the data is in the BSP file, how would I go about modifying Irrlicht to use it? I've modified Irrlicht code before...in fact a lot, but haven't yet touched the BSP stuff.

And if that data isn't in the BSP, where is it?
Or is there a better way to go about this?
bal

Post by bal »

Irrlicht loads no entities, only the geometry and textures. Though some people already wrote some loaders I think (for playerstart etc).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

Hmm, ok.

Well I decided to create a seperate "entity" file using XML, since Irrlicht has a nice XML loader :). For now I'm just handwriting the stuff in there, but later I'll probably write a seperate program to extract the entities from a MAP file and export them to an XML file.
This seems to me to be the best way to go about it.
XargoL

Post by XargoL »

I made a very simple BSP entity parser a while ago, maybe that can help you: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3389