Model Animation breaks when switching to EJUOR_CONTROL

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
user-r3

Model Animation breaks when switching to EJUOR_CONTROL

Post by user-r3 »

Hey guys, sorry if this topic/question/problem is stupid, but I've been sitting here for days and have no idea what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to fix it, so I figured I'll better ask here :D

What I'm doing:
Create Human Model in Makehuman
export to Blender
Load in Blender
export as B3D (no matter with or without animation keyframes)
import into irrLicht scene

now everything is fine, but if I do

Code: Select all

node->setJointMode(EJUOR_CONTROL);
The mesh is just broken. It looks like both the position and rotation (maybe even scale?) for some bones is just off.
No matter whether I call animateJoints() or not.

Please try to help me, I am really desperate right now...

If you need more information or maybe screenshots to help me, please ask for it.

Thanks in advance

sincerely
mongoose7

Re: Model Animation breaks when switching to EJUOR_CONTROL

Post by mongoose7 »

"no matter with or without animation keyframes" so I guess it *is* animated in Blender. Look at all the posts about trouble exporting animated meshes from Blender. In short, maybe you should try a different exporter, and "apply transformations" first.
user-r3

Post by user-r3 »

Thanks for the reply, but what format do you recommend?

I just tried the Blender .x exporter:
exporting without bones and animation stuff works, but this doesn't help me at all.
exporting with bones and stuff, I get similar results to my B3D mesh (just upside down^^)
Exporting as .ms3d creates a strangely tiny file (14kB vs 26MB (b3d)) which is not supported by irrlicht (as the console output suggests)

So, any recommendations? :D

Thanks in advance,
sincerely

EDIT
Ok, after trying something different it seems that irrLicht just can't handle the complicated makeHuman armatures.
When exporting from makeHuman to mhx withthe "simpleRig" option it works just fine, but I don't consider this as solved, because this way we cannot have features like realistic facial expressions and stuff that easy.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

Irrlicht cannot support *translation* of bones, only rotation. That is, bones connect to bones connect to root.
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

Actually Irrlicht can handle face animations it just depends on how you set it up. I have a character I designed to have 3rd person facial animations that go with each set of animations he has such as talking,Idle. Bones or nodes have to be linked and can rotate and move freely just depends on how you create your character rig. But I've been character rigging for many years probably since 2009.
mant

Post by mant »

I'm just wondering why you still need EJUOR_CONTROL joint mode since Irrlicht can play your animations made with Blender :)
user-r3

Post by user-r3 »

mongoose7 wrote:Irrlicht cannot support *translation* of bones, only rotation. That is, bones connect to bones connect to root.
Thanks, this reply is indeed really helpful :)
mant wrote:I'm just wondering why you still need EJUOR_CONTROL joint mode since Irrlicht can play your animations made with Blender :)
I want to blend multiple animations over each other (which already works in my project, even though it is not optimized at all)

Say:
1 Animation for movement mostly affecting the lower body.
1 Animation for stuff the character does with his hands/arms, mostly affecting the upper body.

BUT: Both animations may have slight effects on the other body parts, thus, no mesh splitting.

Also only premade animations isn't exactly what I want, I found that a combination of premade anims and live anims look best for me.

Sincerely!
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

user-r3 wrote:
mongoose7 wrote:Irrlicht cannot support *translation* of bones, only rotation. That is, bones connect to bones connect to root.
I think I was wrong, as The_Glitch said.

If you want to combine animations of one half of the body with animations from the other half then you probably need to manipulate the bones yourself.