introduction, offer, and problem with irrlicht website

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
digfarenough

introduction, offer, and problem with irrlicht website

Post by digfarenough »

hello all

I'm new to these forums but I've been using irrlicht for a while and the first thing I must say is this: I'm very impressed by almost every aspect of the engine and the site.. the documentation is thorough and helpful, the tutorials are great, and the engine is very nicely designed both for ease of use and efficiency... congrats and thanks go out to niko and everyone else

introduction:
the project I'm working on is simple, so I don't really get to push the engine to its limits, but I'm ok with that: basically I'm writing a two-part program: the more complicated part is tantamount to a 2.5d wysiwyg level editor (this part I've just begun), the other is what I call a replayer
I work in a computational neurophysiology lab on simulations of rat prefrontal cortex and hippocampus (a part of the brain that is important for the formation of memories... if you've seen the movie memento, that guy had damaged hippocampi, that's why he couldn't make new memories.. he is based on the famous psychology patient HM)
the replayer is a 3d representation of the simulation, showing the virtual rat moving through its animated environment
the program as a whole is meant to be an easy to use environment for quickly creating new tasks for the simulation (which itself is written in MATLAB)

offer:
I notice the tutorials were written by a non-native english speaker.. I could easily correct these for grammar and such so as to make them (and the irrlicht project as a whole) look more "professional"
would this be helpful?

problem with website:
the link from the irrlicht logo in, e.g., the documentation pages is broken.. it links to http://www.irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ instead of http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
this has been a bit of an annoyance for me.. hopefully the webmaster will see this and fix it :)
Last edited by digfarenough on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

I think one of the advantages of the irrlicht tutorials is possibly their (heres my bad english!!) bad English but I'm sure Niko wouldn't mind any extra help to increase the "professional" look of Irrlicht.
niko
Site Admin

Re: introduction, offer, and problem with irrlicht website

Post by niko »

Hi, nice you like Irrlicht. And very interesting what you are doing. :)
digfarenough wrote:offer:
I notice the tutorials were written by a non-native english speaker.. I could easily correct these for grammar and such so as to make them (and the irrlicht project as a whole) look more "professional"
would this be helpful?
Would be nice, thanks. They were written by me, and my english is really quite awful, sorry. :) Just send them to me, if you like, niko (at) code3d (dot ) com.
About the link: Will be corrected with the next version of the engine. :) There are really a lot of documents to upload. :)
digfarenough

Post by digfarenough »

I've finished the first one. I also added to it a section on possible errors that can arise during compilation or running the program and suggestions as to how to fix them. I remember someone here on the forum saying that could be useful. I'll do a couple more and email them to you a few at a time.

Also, your english is actually very good, you write just as well as most native speakers I know and better than most random people I see on internet forums :)
cyberbillp

english

Post by cyberbillp »

I run forums elsewhere and I must say that your english is AAA+ is comparison to your avarage joe-schmoe.

But, profesional writers, even Steven King have editors. And the editors job is to nit pick little things and put on that extra gloss and find those things writers over look even if they reread the work 100 times.

Bah. I'm babbeling.

I just wanted to say you have an excellent command of english. But a proofrreader never hurts. :-)
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

Should I start this or not... Is it American English or English English!!! :oops: :lol: Although my English is awful, especially there and their. Is this going off topic??
bal

Post by bal »

There are differences between American English and British, like a bit different spelling (color - colour, honor - honour, center - centre, etc). Also there are grammar differences I think but I'm not that good at the English language :). As long as we're able to comprehend eachother. Btw, it's us who need to learn other languages, you lazy native English speakers :wink:.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

As long as we can comprehend each other its fine :lol: Me lazy?? Never!!! I'm currently trying to get my girlfriend to teach me Chinese, mandurin, might take me until about 2015 :o :o
digfarenough

Post by digfarenough »

actually it's Mandarin.. maybe that'll shave a year off your studies :)
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

2014 here i come!!!