Gile or 3dsmax?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Ishtm

Gile or 3dsmax?

Post by Ishtm »

Wich program is the best to export my3d, both handles lightmaps but wich do that with radiosity source to burn lightmaps?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

3dsmax is an all around 3d application (modeling, texturing, rendering, animating), whereas Giles is only a lightmapper which you import your stuff to already modeled and textured in another application.

On the other hand, 3dsmax costs US$3500 and giles US$50, and giles offers excelent quality lightmaps for such a price (game-wise).

so depending on your budget i'd suggest using a free modeler (like blender or wings3d) or a non expensive one like AC3d or milkshape, export to a format Giles can read and lightmap there. Finally export to My3d via Giles. Believe me, once in Irrlicht, it will be hard to tell the difference.

in the end it's all a matter of $$$$

ps. Giles can do Global Ilumination in a very proper and fast way, with exceñllent results. :wink:
Ishtm

Post by Ishtm »

Thanks afecelis,
I like prety much Blender but at now i dont know how reneder to texture to make lightmaps, but soon!!