On Irrlicht.NET

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
visitor

On Irrlicht.NET

Post by visitor »

So, Irrlicht.NET is basically a totally-from-the-ground implementation of the original Irrlicht (c++), that tries to implement all of the functionality of the later?
If so, Niko, do you think on moving to .NET and then dropping c++?
And, it's coded in c# right?

Thanks
Mr. Glasses

Post by Mr. Glasses »

I think C++ would still be supported.

But it would be nice if there was a lot more support for C# and VB.NET.

Post by Guest »

But it would be nice if there was a lot more support for C# and VB.NET
There's certainly nothing stopping anyone who wishes to enable Irrlicht from VB.NET or C# from doing so. The source code is available. All you need do is write the interfaces...

It's unrealistic for anyone to expect that Niko, who is already coding the C++ and .NET Irrlicht core as well as handling OpenGL, DX and a software renderers should also be expected to add support for two more languages.
visitor

Post by visitor »

IntMain wrote:should also be expected to add support for two more languages.
Mmmm, since Im new to this whole .NET thing... what is it coded then in? (the .NET part). If I understand well, it has to be in VB.NET or C#, but you say those are "two more languages", so what langage is Irrlicht.NET coded on?
Thanks
corteplaneta

Post by corteplaneta »

Obviously managed C++. You have to realize the languages are interchangeable. It's how M$ designed the .NET languages to be.
Last edited by corteplaneta on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I wrote this page which describes well what Irrlicht.NET is: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu.net/index.html
Irrlicht.NET is written in Managed C++ and is only a wrapper around the original Irrlicht, no reimplementation. And with Irrlicht.NET, you can use Irrlicht from C#, VB.NET, Delphi.NET, etc.

Post by Guest »

niko wrote:I wrote this page which describes well what Irrlicht.NET is: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu.net/index.html
Irrlicht.NET is written in Managed C++ and is only a wrapper around the original Irrlicht, no reimplementation. And with Irrlicht.NET, you can use Irrlicht from C#, VB.NET, Delphi.NET, etc.
Oh...I see, managed c++ then. Well, so, I guess its just a big class(es) that call the original functions from the dll right?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Anonymous wrote:Well, so, I guess its just a big class(es) that call the original functions from the dll right?
yep :)
mikeyj

Just a (.net) thought...

Post by mikeyj »

Hi!

Niko: would it be possible to add a new forum for the .NET implementation? That way all us outcast .NET guys could hang together someplace of our own! (And make it easier to find inofomation......)

Cheers!

By the way... excellent job with the engine!
Many, many thanks!
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

That's right. I'll add it.