Try Quark Level Editor and Lightmapper Free and Open Source

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Ernesto

Try Quark Level Editor and Lightmapper Free and Open Source

Post by Ernesto »

!TRY QUARK: FREE AND OPEN SOURCE! http://www.planetquake.com/quark/
There has even been some dirty fuzz about it, see yourself:
Afecelis even closed this thread after his Amen

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=9874

Some people seem to consider an apology a weakness or why are they even more upset afterwards? He even appreciated your work. Take it easy. By the way it utterly uncool to make such statements and forbid people to put it right by closing the thread. Not quite what we call freedom of speech, and certainly not a good attitude in an open-source community!

"I just cannot stand having someone step on others' hard work just because they dislike it or don't agree with it"

He did not do that. Too much snow in your mountains ?

The Deled team is working hard, very hard":

how comes that you are so well informed about what the DELED team does ?
"to make of their tool a useful one":
I even heard some companies do that before they sell their products. BTW, what software are you used to? Which OS and Compiler do you use?

"You must always know a bit of what you're talking about before expressing any judgement"
You seem to be a shy and modest guy. But the sentence could remind some people of their childhood.
I hope you can always predict the outcome of your actions, so no noone will ever pull you over. Nobody can guarantee that always to himself, just because we are not perfect. Wrong?

"I'm not the only Pro user in the Irrlicht forums"
You probably think that it is absolutely impossible that: professional software producers would more than welcome betatesters which are influental users in Forums whith potential costumers.

However, most if not all companies give their Betaversions for free to test. At least those companies which are honest enough to admit that their product has only reached Alpha or Beta Status.

"No one is forcing you to buy their stuff" Yeah man, we are still lucky, aren't we?

I also find it interesting that you did not loose a word about the hint concerning Quark, which offers all and more than Deled does plus the lightmapping is nice and flawless. As

QUARK IS FREE AND OPEN SOURCE!

i think it is far superior to at least their Lite-Version. Smart people want to try Quark first even if others are pushing them to the opposite. They know about the true value of open-source. And Quark has been developped over years within the community and certainly is not Beta. Actually it works just great. A bit complex at the beginning, because of the huge amount of functions, but loads of tutorials and a huge user base. But most people do not want ease of use at the expense of lacking features, thats why.

Just take it easy Affe!

Hasta la proxima,

Z

PS:
!TRY QUARK: FREE AND OPEN SOURCE!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

?????

You forgot to use the search function. I've written several tutorials on how to use Quark for Irrlicht not to mention the ones for Gmax, My3d, Giles and 3dsmax.

There has even been some dirty fuzz about it
What? Fuzz? If there's such "fuzz" it's not about Quark at all! You make it look like that. It's about Deled.
what software are you used to? Which OS and Compiler do you use?
What kind of question is this? And what do you care?
Software: Autocad, 3dsmax, Ac3d, Silo3d, Blender, Wings3d, Unwrap3d, Fragmotion, Milkshape3d, Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand, Premiere, After Effects, Fruityloops, Giles... mmm...Gimp...PSpro...I think I'm used to those. Oh yes! Word , excel, and the office suite, or the openoffice free one... can they apply too?
Compiler: Codeblocks with Msvc toolkit 2003; MSVC 2003, MSVC 2005 express, and gcc in linux. Though I'm not a programmer; I'm more a 3d person.
how comes that you are so well informed about what the DELED team does ?
I'm in permanent contact with Jeroen and Paul Jan (deled's developers) and I also post work in their forums to help them make Deled better. or simply check their forums; The bugs section has entries from its users and they get answered and fixed very soon.
http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Yeah man, we are still lucky, aren't we?
Well, if you feel you're lucky cause you can still buy those 4 beers you want! I'd rather buy a cool program some friends are making.
Some people seem to consider an apology a weakness or why are they even more upset afterwards?
I closed it not because I'm upset, but because I foresaw something like your post coming ahead as a reaction. I'd rather save the space for the forums and I didn't want to get into something repetitive (which is happening now).
"I just cannot stand having someone step on others' hard work just because they dislike it or don't agree with it"
He did not do that. Too much snow in your mountains ?
Well, calling someone's work a "Pro Wannabe" sounds to me like he doesn't agree or like too much the program. About snow; I'm in a tropical weather , you know, so not too much snow around here. Any reference made to snow as you're doing it means cocaine, right? So if you try to mean if I'm high then the answer is no. I don't do nor like drugs. If you wanted to offend me cause I'm from Colombia then you missed that one too. I'm just doing the job Niko and Saigumi trusted me.
QUARK IS FREE AND OPEN SOURCE!
Well the editor is, but the compiler's not, nor are the bsps you create with it (at least with Q3 maps, which is what Irrlicht loads). If you're talking about Openbsp, then you'll need to write a loader for Irrlicht. Then you can start preaching your stuff.
Just take it easy Affe!
Thanks for the tip! I always do. This is not the first nor will be the last time I have to deal with comments like yours.

Finally, please learn to use the Quote function, and please register.

I'm moving this thread to offtopic. You announce it as a tool but it's nothing but crybaby crititcism to the mod. besides, ppl here already know of Quark. It's been in the tools list for years! So you're a bit late with your discovery.
Ratneck

Post by Ratneck »

[/quote] If you're talking about Openbsp, then you'll need to write a loader for Irrlicht. Then you can start preaching your stuff.

They even heard of it at the Ogre forums. What are you, moderator, Admin? Whats that poop with the beer, ey? Did you spy on his IP and even posted your newly earned knowledge proudly?

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 9cc0bc9a1c
http://www.constantthought.com/node/50

However as with most of Murphys stuff you have to ask for a download adress per superfriendly e-mail.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

What are you, moderator, Admin?
Whats that poop with the beer, ey?
I just meant that some ppl would rather spend 60 bucks on a couple of beers; I'd rather buy the proggie; since he was saying Deled was such a useless purchase!
"QUARK IS FREE AND OPEN SOURCE! i think it is far superior to at least their Lite-Version. Smart people want to try Quark first"
Did you spy on his IP and even posted your newly earned knowledge proudly?
No.
However as with most of Murphys stuff you have to ask for a download adress per superfriendly e-mail
I know; I got it too.

clear enough?
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

whatsup with the BS ppl, this pisses me off.
here i clicked a topic hoping to find some useful information that might make me
reconsider using quark instead of gtkradiant, and what do i get?
im sure its not the kind of publicity quark needs, to say the least.
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I totally agree with Armen. Quark is as useful as the other level editors available; and that's what we need here; tools to work with. If you posted your thread as a tool then just let us know of it, how to get it, its advantages and compatibility with Irrlicht, tutorials, suggestions, etc; but don't start rambling about stuff non-concerning to your topic or start putting other options down just because you feel so.

That's why it was moved to offtopic.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Ernesto, tío...

I think you don't know much who are you talking about.

Lol, Afe is a great defender of allways of Quake editors stuff.

He,me and many, most here, are true defenders of open source and anything not comercial.

If u make a search, you'll find I have my time defending Quark+some open source bsp compiler as the great solution.

But...BSP compilers, free for comercial projects ones (and yup, while many of us don't do this for comercial (I am a pro in the sense I have worked for 4 game companies and am in one now...But been a pro of othe rgraphic fields before entering games, quite some years ago...And indeed, in my field am a jack of all trades, doing all profiles in game graphics)...So, yep, there are more pros here, and some much better than me, hehe ) are really lacking. That is, apart from the hl1 and hl2 zhlt tools, the effort , uncomplete one, there at sourceforge project, (can't remember the name now) , and a certain custom, maybe not compatible, of Getic, oh well, and openbsp, there are no more quake3 compiler(for making comercial projects), a full thing for that seems is not present. Yet true that there is for hl1 bsp.

Also, bsp forces only convex geometry. Some of us like to do other kind of geometry. Many of these compilers forced lightmaps to be of chunks of 64x64, or 128x128, or the like. And while the excellent carmack systems do wonders, there are some special cases where u'd prefer large lightmap tgas...

That among several other stuff, like really large terrains, etc...Are formats from the past. Pretty usable , but like md2 and md3, etc, have their old issues. Like anything. Not saying is a bad route. What u didnt get is afe does use EVERYTHING, from quark, to gmax, blender, giles and everything falls in his hands...Too much indeed. And gets a lot of those tools. And does not have the ideas you think he has against open source -lol- or quark, but all the opposite. Some eons ago we were even promoting Quark like crazy. And if we're now more focused on Giles, Deled, Blender or certain free custom tool to be released, or very good stuff also done around here, My3D, for Max, is because we find certain clear advantages. And to tell you: half of them are fully open source. As the reasons are purely technical, this is specially one of the forums supporting more free and open source projects...so.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just stay around and have a deep glance on many posts of all times here, and will see how much involved is this comunity with non comercial stuff.

I personally worked for making levels and loads of modeled props for comercial companies, as part of the staff, and well, so much I prefer to model with no bsp format restrictions, neither with the restrictions imposed by the compilers. So much powerful to model the level in Max(blender would also be as powerful, in what is mesh generation), and use GI lightmaps with certain advanced stuff...

I promoted here Quark a lot over gtk and q radiant, not for technical reasons, but as those tools were told not to use for comercial gain projects(same as worldcraft, hammer) in the editor'spage, mainly as I think were based in carmack tools(it doesnt matter, no comercial use allowed)...While Quark was plainly open source. I have used it a little bit adn I found it very complete. There's nothing against Quark, but a wish to use other solutions than bsp stuff...Yet so, is pretty usable, and indeed, Afe did quite a bunch of that kind of projects.

Even if I don't usually do comercial projects apart from my job, I like to have the freedom that the tool I get into more deeply, allows me to do so in a certain moment. Anyway, lately I get deep into any tool I handle, so what the heck.

What I can tell u here many of us are not open source soldiers or something: I use what is best at any moment. I use 3d open source at work,(and get stuff good and in time, even before deadlines) even having hard fights for that, but also use expensive comercial ones if the specific task is better done so.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com