Simple questions for a person starting out....

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Jynks

Simple questions for a person starting out....

Post by Jynks »

Hi there...

I am new to all this and would like to ask some simple questions that do not apear to be covered in your FAQs or I was unable to find answers in the fourm... to be honest most of what I read in fourm was meaningless to me as I am just starting....

In your tutorials you talk about loading up quake III maps and placing nodes etc etc in them... I was woundering if that is the best method for building maps and backgrounds... if so where do I get a quake III map editor?

Also I am from a 3D animation background and have been doing it for almost 10 years. This project is kinda like a present for my son... but I wanted to be able to do stuff in it before I brung him into it (this is a hobby is wat i am saying)

I use Maya and Max mainly and have looked at the mondel View tutorials and the like and was woundering what formats the engine uses, how do you translate the bones, etc etc etc.

I can not seam to find infomation like that.. I can only seam to find the tutorials on the site... any healp apreciated.

Post by Guest »

how to create quake 3 maps:
use the search function of the forum and/or google. there is no way that you do not find any information ;)

what format the engine loads:
this is listed right at the irrlicht page under the topic "features" which everyone should look at before considering to use the engine.

if this sounds a bit harsh, im sorry and its not my intention

good luck!
area51

Post by area51 »

For quake 3 maps you can use GtKRadiant :
http://www.qeradiant.com/

Irrlicht will load in .3ds meshes for your levels with no problems, load it the same as a Quake 3 .bsp. (dont use .3ds for animations though!)

I would recomend using the .X (direct X format) for animations. There are a couple of Max plugins to convert to that format.

For static levels I would recomend either .bsp (quake 3) or .X (direct x)

Different people have different preference though.
________
Vaaapp
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

you are so stupid, i animate people to look for very little information themselves and you come and post that poop here, that just sucks. now they just think that they can do it all the time and post such questions over and over again because they always rely on that some person like you post the solution :evil:
area51

Post by area51 »

..its like the carrot and the stick, you cant just keep beating them with the stick all the time.

I offer a more softer and fluffy kind of reponse.

I see myself as a marshmellow :oops:
________
Weed vaporizers
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acki

Post by Acki »

UIf you're using 3DSMax you can use the my3d format !!!
An exporter is includet to Irrlicht...
So you can create lightmapped meshes with 3DSMax and use them as maps !!!
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java

Post by Guest »

area51 wrote:..its like the carrot and the stick, you cant just keep beating them with the stick all the time.

I offer a more softer and fluffy kind of reponse.

I see myself as a marshmellow :oops:
im sorry i think i over-reacted a bit ;)
Maize

Post by Maize »

Its alright man, we forgive you.
Jynks

Post by Jynks »

Friendly community you guys have here :)

@area51
Thanks for the links. much apreciated.

I'm a very new user and may be some of my questions seam silly to those that are more used to the internet and things like fourms and stuff. I am still learning what you may take for granted.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

imo its best to fully answer every topic to keep the search index working properly for the future. otherwise, when people search for something all they'll find is posts and posts telling them to search.
if you're gonna bitch about people not using search before posting you should at least include one relevant link.
area51 and acki fixed your "how to create quake 3 maps" search contamination :P
we still forgive you tho :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

jynks, welcome at IRR-forum.. sort of because u still havent made an account..
Do sign up if u are serious about an IRR project ;)
I post this because so many misunderstand irrlicht and the post u made give me an irrie feeling:
Irrlicht is a -graphic engine-
Irrlicht is -not- a game engine
This means that -everything- that has to do with an actual game needs to done by YOU
Strong c++ skills are needed. The learning curve is not steep..
For something that can be finished as a surprize for anyone in december.. use darkBasic or even faster/simpler 3dRAD
links:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/
http://www.3drad.com/
nb they are not free but not expensive
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |
Jynks

Post by Jynks »

I have registered :)

While I am planning to develop this game with my son, I am not planning to do so before Xmass. I am at the beginning of a c++ course and thought that trying to develop a game in IRR (or something similar) would be a good way of developing those skills.

The reason I chose IRR and not a "more complete" game engine is that I wish to learn.. not simply get something on screen and go wow look at that. I have an idea for a game that my efforts will be aimed towards, but at the moment I am just interested in trying to learn as much as I can.

As a major beginner in programming I realise that this isn't going to be something that I can get working over night, but I am sure I will be able to do so.

IRR is made for doing just this isn't it? I tis a rendering engine that allows you to plug in your own controles to basically make any application you want that used 3D real time rendering?
pfo

Post by pfo »

Code: Select all

I am at the beginning of a c++ course and thought that trying to develop a game in IRR (or something similar) would be a good way of developing those skills. 
Maybe, maybe not, depends on how much you know about programming. Good C++ skill is essential before starting programming a game. I started learning C++ simultaneously with game programming when I was like 17, that was a huge mistake. I did things terribly inefficient then; now things are much easier. You might find that C++ and Irrlicht learning curves combined can be quite a challenge.

Code: Select all

IRR is made for doing just this isn't it? I tis a rendering engine that allows you to plug in your own controles to basically make any application you want that used 3D real time rendering?
Yeah, pretty much, within reason. Basically, if you have seen any existing video game do something, you can probably do it in Irrlicht somehow, even if it required some modification to the engine.