IRRLICHT sucks

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
niblick

Post by niblick »

The Anaconda wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The thing i most hate is that it can't load not 2x2 textures.
2. what ?

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't like that textures have to have dimensions that are a power of two. If so, that's a rather silly criticism, considering that that's a standard requirement in DirectX, and I believe also with OpenGL. I think there may even be penalties in hardware for using non power of 2 textures.
its an older video card limitation. OpenGL 2.0 specifications have a feature GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, not sure about DirectX (thats a first for me). any card OpenGL 2.0 compatible wouldnt have that limit anymore.
i was going to point that out. although the non power of 2 support is fairly new and i would hazard to guess it's not as optimised as standard power of 2 textures.
i don't see what he's bitching about. i've just started using irr a few days ago and even though i had to recompile the dll to get it working i still like it, beats the smeg out of the other free engines and cheap ones i've had a gander at. although the documentation can be a pain in the arse to navigate when starting...
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

if you don't like it write your own.
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.

Post by Guest »

Let me ask a dumb quesiton...
when you say the textures needd to be a power of 2,
you are saying about the pixel dimensions?
ANd using something of non-power of two in dimensions (on older hardware) will render much much slower, if at all?

thank
sRc

Post by sRc »

Anonymous wrote:Let me ask a dumb quesiton...
when you say the textures needd to be a power of 2,
you are saying about the pixel dimensions?
ANd using something of non-power of two in dimensions (on older hardware) will render much much slower, if at all?

thank
i'm not sure what will happen, actually. both my machines' cards (nVidia GeForce 6600 in my desktop and ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 in my notebook) support GL_ARB_non_power_of_two so I cant test it to see what happens
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Quall

Post by Quall »

Irrlicht is the easiest graphic engine to develop for, and its capabilities definately don't suck. Maybe he is just mad because he is a 12 year old with no knowledge of programming, and can't get it to work.
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

Sorry... nothing to do with the reason this thread was created... but...

LOLOL @ BoboS

"All My life I wanted a Computer,..now all I want is my life back!!"

Dude!... thats the funniest (and truest) quote I've ever read :lol:

Post by Guest »

Quantum wrote:Sorry... nothing to do with the reason this thread was created... but...

LOLOL @ BoboS

"All My life I wanted a Computer,..now all I want is my life back!!"

Dude!... thats the funniest (and truest) quote I've ever read :lol:
yup.. so true. Especially since the internet went "massive" ;)
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

"yup.. so true. Especially since the internet went "massive" ... Especially since then! lol

I used to type in a search... in 5 seconds I had every answer I ever wanted & that was on DIAL-UP! ???

Now with broadband... I type in a search & after 15 minutes of reading TOTALLY non-related `spidered search engines` results... I STILL can't find what the h£ll I'm looking for???... Oh for the old-days :roll:

I sometimes think it'd be easier to go out & buy a book :? lolol
cpprules

Post by cpprules »

i'm still using dial-up...
CRPG, FRPG, Oblivion Fan
Hater of Counter Strike (i hate it so much damn it)

Post by Guest »

lmfao the bich..

I like that it's cute. 8)

Post by Guest »

Ok, lets feed the trolls :lol:

Lets say Irrlicht sucks, but its the easiest 3D-engine i could get my hands on. It propably lacks of some features OGRE for ex. has at the moment BUT the available features are much more transparent for the beginner. So the starter can do a lot of things with Irrlicht which would have been far too complicated with OGRE.

Great for me :wink:
boboS

Post by boboS »

Quantum wrote:I sometimes think it'd be easier to go out & buy a book :? lolol
well i did the same. I was tired to look for online tutorials so I go out and I bought a book for C++. (C++ for beginers) When I reached chap2 the author sayed: "dont bother to try understanding this if you dont know C, first learn C". I bought another book: C++ for dummys. Then I realized that the book was to easy for me. Bought another one that I didnt understood. OHHH....god So is better to spend TIME to search the web then spend MONEY to search for a fit book. :D
As your ship is going down
ll stand by and watch you drown
drf

Post by drf »

you can always buy better engines.
Unreal engine 3 is only 350,000 bucks.
You should think about it, maybe you can afford it. :lol:
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

Torque is only $100.00, and looks pretty good!
pushpork