Are images made by the GIMP freely distributable?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

Are images made by the GIMP freely distributable?

Post by Guest »

Hi. I was wondering if I can ditribute images made by the GIMP any way I want. The reason I'm asking is that the GIMP uses alot of pre-rendered patterns, images ,and brushes, etc. and I need to know if that means any images created using those (and then basicly anything made by the GIMP) must be distributed under the terms of the GPL. Then again, how do you provide source code for a bitmap? Hmmmm....
roninmagus

Post by roninmagus »

IANAL, but I do use Linux and the Gimp a lot. I have always went by the assumption that an image created by a graphics package is not a derivative work of that graphics package.

Here is the definition of a derivate work:

"based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications, which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”"

An image is not a derivative work of the Gimp program, as you don't have to modify or revise the code of the gimp to create an image.

So... changing the GIMP PROGRAM and redistributing it is what the licensing covers, which would be a derivative work. However any original images you create using said licensed program are yours to do as you wish. The images created by you the user are subject to your own licensing methods.

Now, you're getting into gray territory with me when you start talking about using the Gimp's predefined patterns. Those may be either licensed for public domain use or copyrighted works. I never use them, so I don't know.[/i]
daveandrews.org - A Christian Programmer's Weblog | Dusty Engine - A Task Engine for Irrlicht
dracflamloc

Post by dracflamloc »

I'm pretty darn sure you can do whatever you want with it. I think you might have a little problem if you just just the pattern itself and tried to sell it as a graphics package or something.
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

It's free to use, and your images that you make can be used freely!
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I'd expect brushes and stuff to be free to use, but I guess complete freedom depend on the file format you saved it as. For example compuserve own GIF compression, so if you ever want to read it back you've got to be licensed (in theory anyway, see any free DVD/SVCD apps?). bitmaps and pngs are safe at least.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
jam

Post by jam »

bitplane wrote:I'd expect brushes and stuff to be free to use, but I guess complete freedom depend on the file format you saved it as. For example compuserve own GIF compression, so if you ever want to read it back you've got to be licensed
Compuserve's patent expired several years ago. Only one remaining company olds a patent on GIF and it expires this year or early next year if I recall correctly.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

cool. didn't know that, you learn something new every day.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
jam

Post by jam »

The LZW patent that GIF uses expired on June 20, 2003, and the equivalent patents in Europe and Japan expired on June 18 and June 20, 2004 respectively, with the Canadian patent following on July 7.

IBM holds the last patent on LZW, though they have never enforced it. IBM's patent expires August 11, 2006 in the United States.

source
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

That's very intresting. I didn't know about the GIF patents.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
dingo

Post by dingo »

Images are your own an dyou can do with them what you like.

As for GIF, just use PNG, much better IMO :) and totally free to use
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
Bllshtter

Post by Bllshtter »

Are images made with Gimp freely usable?
Are 3d-models made with Blender freely usable?
Is Music made with open-source freely useable?
Are programs compiled with DevCpp freely useable?
What about my Irrlicht stuff?

I don't know what made you asking that BS, but i don't think this question is freely useable without pissing off lots of people. If you don't mind, why do you ask? You know it smells like....
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

...teen spirit?