Question....

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
the_rookie

Question....

Post by the_rookie »

I know this may be annoying but I needed to ask this, and I could not find this any where else (I'm hoping someone is willing to help)

I know that the engine is written in C++ which is great love it, so does that mean I can create code to fomulate my own game?

I love the graphics capability and I know that there must be more, bump maps are cool and great and I'm sure there are other shaders as will, I seen in the development section to a degree of what other teams has done and modified it to create a game, I know some basic things and I am willing to try those basic things but I just need a go head push that it can be done and I will research the graphics engine out

Lighting and atmosphere for me was really important for a game and I could afford Unreal but I think on the graphic end this will do, I really want to experiment and put something together, I seen that it supports maya objects, I am really wanting to experiment some things on this please let me know or email me directly if possible, sorry for asking a question that may have been already asked already, but I was really anxious on know this information, so I can try a couple of things, Thank You for any responses, with the C++ source code I can work with this, I taught myself C++ and have really gotten good with it as well but still alot of work will be needed, Thanks Again!!
Xaron

Re: Question....

Post by Xaron »

the_rookie wrote:I know that the engine is written in C++ which is great love it, so does that mean I can create code to fomulate my own game?
Welcome to the forum. You did a good choice with Irrlicht, because it has a clean structure and is easy to learn. And yes, you can create your own game using Irrlicht. :)

Regards - Xaron
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

wow, Xaron! you're the ambassador of politeness! :D

@the_rookie: Xaron is right. Irrlicht has a very clean and understandable API, and you can bring your ideas into reality with this 3d engine. I invite you to check its main features:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html
Xaron

Post by Xaron »

:lol: Indeed, afecelis, indeed...

But I _love_ statements like yours, too: "I invite you to check its main features"! :D

@Topic: We all were beginners, and I like Irrlicht very much. It's so easy to use!... Ok, enough for now. ;)

Regards - Xaron

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the response guys and the people who have created this engine, this is a break thru for me as a indie gamer, I can try some of the stuff I've been wanting to work on, I love programming (I know it sounds weird) but I'm beginning to really like programming alot and I'm willing to test it with the engine, I read about people porting over to the Xbox, well I have a Playstation 2 Dev Kit and with the engine being able to work on a Linux platform I think we are on our why, Thanks Again Guys and off to the studying!!!! (Thanks for the link afecelis!!)