I have implemented some endian support

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
SwiftCoder

I have implemented some endian support

Post by SwiftCoder »

Niko:
I have coded Endian.h and Endian.cpp files which handle all endianess-detection, intelligent bit-swapping, have no dependencies, and work on any platform. I have tested them on OS X (Big endian), and Windows/Linux (Little Endian).
I have also modified the MD2 Loading code to use these functions, and am working on the BMP, TGA, and BSP loaders.
The functions have absolutely no performance hit on Little Endian systems (they are just empty macros), and seemingly very little on Big Endian systems.
Do you mind if I email these to you, when I have finnished them, so that you can look them over, and perhaps incorporate them into the engine, so that IrrLicht is truly cross-platform?

On another note, I really like IrrLicht, better than any of the engines I have used before.
powerpop

Post by powerpop »

this is fantastic! (and what opensource is all about) - i agree wholeheartedly about irrlicht - its api is a dream - and the quality of the grpahics in the engine can only improve over time
keless

Post by keless »

good job SwiftCoder, living up to your name, I see :wink:

the IrrLicht community ROCKS.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
niko
Site Admin

Re: I have implemented some endian support

Post by niko »

SwiftCoder wrote:Niko:
Do you mind if I email these to you, when I have finnished them, so that you can look them over, and perhaps incorporate them into the engine, so that IrrLicht is truly cross-platform?
Nice! Sure, just send them. :)
SwiftCoder

Post by SwiftCoder »

Hmm, probably I should complain to SourceForge, but the mail.sourceforge.net mail server is returning my email because "You do not have sufficient priviliges to address irrlicht@users.sourceforge.net".
Beats me what that server thinks it is doing.

I am runninx Apple's mail on OS X, with a FuseMail.com email account, if anyone has any ideas.
In the mean time, do you know of any where I could post/email these files? (obviously not a sourceforge email address 8) )
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, don't know what they changed at sourceforge again. Try my other adress: niko(at)code3d.com
SwiftCoder

Post by SwiftCoder »

I sent it to your code3d address, no problems.
dparnell

MacOS X support and endianess

Post by dparnell »

I'd love a copy of the endian stuff as well :)

I'm pretty new to this engine having downloaded it last night, and I've managed to get the HelloWorld demo showing stuff on the screen, but the textures are all white :(

My email address is danielparnell at hotmail.com

Daniel
dparnell

MacOS X and all white textures fixed :)

Post by dparnell »

YAY!

Apparently for some reason the COpenGLTexture::copyTexture() routine the hasMipMaps flag was true, so I had to call gluBuild2DMipmaps to get it to work :)

Now the model displays properly :)

Daniel