Future for Irrlicht!

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

- new shader callback (multipass algorithms)
- new type of light (point / spot) implement with OGSL (per pixel lighting)
- project texture for light type
- future: soft shadow
- future: bump map / normal map
All done!

im even making a water texture that generates waves and has a combined CPU use for water physics!
chromdragon

Post by chromdragon »

hi omaremad!

So when can we see some goodys from you? (do you have plans for submiting that to Irrlicht ?)
spock

Post by spock »

why not do the last small steps and make irrlicht a real game engine (add audio + make collision detection more robust)? i am sure this would be very welcomed by many people.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Probably because collision detection is being enhanced and integration of several audio libraries is quite simple.
chromdragon

Post by chromdragon »

omaremad any word from you?
stodge

Post by stodge »

spock wrote:why not do the last small steps and make irrlicht a real game engine (add audio + make collision detection more robust)? i am sure this would be very welcomed by many people.
This would be best served as a community add-on project I think.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, I think such scene nodes (or whatever this would be implemented as) could be put into the SDK as "contributions" or what other projects call such things. Just put some small add-ons not directly into the core, but making them more easily available. I've used the OpenAL scene nodes quite often, maybe I'll prepare them for such an add-on. but of course the user would be requested to add OpenAL on his own and set project files etc.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 4460#84460

all my stuff has always been in this thread
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

From my point, I would be happiest if I happened to spot theese futures:
- cube maps support
- multiple shader callback support
- md5mesh and md5anim file formats support
- display the (0,0,0) vector in object space if debug data of a node are set to visible :wink:

irrlicht rules, don't integrate any advanced physiques to it, nor game systems, nor audios. It is cool just the way it is, small solid rendering engine that can be integrated with anyhting
what is this thing...
bicunisa

Post by bicunisa »

I have always wondered why Acki doesn't integrate his extensions with Irrlicht, any word on this?

And maybe other contributor could be the code in the IrrSpintz engine, any problems in borrowing some stuff from it? :D
OMG another MMORPG project! AztlanRPG
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

here here. Acki should upload his irrExtentions to the SVN RIGHT NOW :shock: :D
It would good not to have to recompile irr EVERY time you need to use a new extension :cry:
pushpork
terence

Post by terence »

hybrid wrote:It's 6 developers if you check the authors page, and lots of contributors as well. But of course we need the input from the community as we cannot keep up the pace without. And bitplane and I are also developing new things (check bitplane's homepage for several interesting new scene nodes, I've contributed several mesh file loaders). However, Irrlicht also needs proper bug fixing and feature fixing (things that work with DX don't work under OpenGL etc.). So we're currently concentrating on this. New features do require more time so we'll fix the main bugs first and then proceed with new features. And you never know what Niko comes up with for the next release :wink:
For the features TODO list: Read a book on real-time rendering or the feature list of some other 3d engine and choose one of the items currently missing in Irrlicht's feature list :D
Yah! I totally agree with this..ok..a bit spammish...but I think alot of people get too carried away especially with graphics engines and not focus on fixing things to make sure it all works right. I think the community can help in organizing bugs, providing code fixes if within their capabilities rather than going through and implementing as many features as possible..

It would also be nice to get a fair set of focused product being developed using the engine so that it is proven to be commercially viable..I don't know about other..but right now I'm trying to use Irrlicht as a cross platform 2d (primarily) 3d graphics library for my game which I plan to sell and hopefully make some money out off...

SDL is a great example of this..with several commercial titles using it..

I would happily be a bug reporter/bug checker right now while I develop this game full time..not sure if I can help on the engine fixes because of my lack of knowledge of the engine plus my 3D graphics knowledge kinda sucks right now...(which led me to this anyways)...I am a decent programmer..enough to be legible with reporting/testing bugs at least
:)
terence

Post by terence »

hybrid wrote:It's 6 developers if you check the authors page, and lots of contributors as well. But of course we need the input from the community as we cannot keep up the pace without. And bitplane and I are also developing new things (check bitplane's homepage for several interesting new scene nodes, I've contributed several mesh file loaders). However, Irrlicht also needs proper bug fixing and feature fixing (things that work with DX don't work under OpenGL etc.). So we're currently concentrating on this. New features do require more time so we'll fix the main bugs first and then proceed with new features. And you never know what Niko comes up with for the next release :wink:
For the features TODO list: Read a book on real-time rendering or the feature list of some other 3d engine and choose one of the items currently missing in Irrlicht's feature list :D
Yah! I totally agree with this..ok..a bit spammish...but I think alot of people get too carried away especially with graphics engines and not focus on fixing things to make sure it all works right. I think the community can help in organizing bugs, providing code fixes if within their capabilities rather than going through and implementing as many features as possible..

It would also be nice to get a fair set of focused product being developed using the engine so that it is proven to be commercially viable..I don't know about other..but right now I'm trying to use Irrlicht as a cross platform 2d (primarily) 3d graphics library for my game which I plan to sell and hopefully make some money out off...

SDL is a great example of this..with several commercial titles using it..

I would happily be a bug reporter/bug checker right now while I develop this game full time..not sure if I can help on the engine fixes because of my lack of knowledge of the engine plus my 3D graphics knowledge kinda sucks right now...(which led me to this anyways)...I am a decent programmer..enough to be legible with reporting/testing bugs at least
:)
juliusctw

Post by juliusctw »

JPulham wrote:here here. Acki should upload his irrExtentions to the SVN RIGHT NOW :shock: :D
It would good not to have to recompile irr EVERY time you need to use a new extension :cry:
yes, i second more gui support , acki already has it anyway, might as well put it int :wink: