Using 3DSMax 8.0 with IrrLicht.NET (and some other issues :)

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
dcarapic

Using 3DSMax 8.0 with IrrLicht.NET (and some other issues :)

Post by dcarapic »

Hi all,
I have some questions about using 3DSMax 8.0 with IrrLicht.NET:

1. I've created a basic model with 3dsMax using only cylinders and exported it to 3DS format (selected model only). When I try to load this model via GetMesh I get (null) back (no error, just nothing). I could not find this problem mentioned anywhere so maybe someone has some ideas why this happens.

2. Since I could not make 3DS format work, I exported the model to Wavefront .obj. This works but for some reason trying to get ISceneNode from the screen coordinates sometimes retrieves object of type CAMERA_MAYA ?? (btw I am not sure if this is linked to the loaded model or is this normal behaviour)

3. Adding the texture of the model to the .obj file caused IrrLicht to throw invalid memory access (or something like that) exception. Is it possible to load the model together with its textures?

4. If I would be able to load 3DS model in IrrLicht, would it retain mapping coordinates made with Unwrap UVW modifier (after colapsing the model of course)?

This is no longer connected to the 3DSMax but since I am already asking questions :)

5. I am using IrrLich in window (not full screen) and I do not know how to get notified when window needs to be redrawn (because of some other window over it or something similar). At the moment I am constantly doing the BeginScene, DrawAll, EndScene every x milliseconds and I do not like such a solution.

6. When I create IrrlichtDevice and give it a window handle (to display the viewport in my own window) then the viewport gets scaled in a strange way. How could I set up the IrrlichtDevice to avoid this initial weird scaling.

7. When I resize the IrrlichtDevice window then it seems that getting a ray from point where I click no longer seems to work properly, it seems that Irrlicht still retains old size of the window when calculating ray.

Thanks for any help :)