2048 - Open source single-player FPS for Linux

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
cypher543

2048 - Open source single-player FPS for Linux

Post by cypher543 »

2048 is a new project which is meant to bring attention to the Linux game market by showing big game developers that advanced effects and features can still be accomplished on the Linux platform. We haven't quite started on the engine yet, but only because one of the team members is having a bit of trouble with the nVidia drivers. That should be sorted out soon, though.

I'm not going to explain everything, because rappermas and I have already said it all on the blog. :P So, here it is:

http://2048.cypherspace.info

The design isn't final. It's just what came with WordPress. I'll be making a darker theme later on.

NOTE: This game is for Linux only. We will not be porting this game to Windows. The whole point of this project is to show what Linux can do, not what Linux and Windows can do.
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

HERE HERE!!!!
One of the bigest problems with linux is that developers don't fully support it!
Also, the compilcated install system with packages... but that can be fixed.

Thanks... looks good.
pushpork
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Also, the compilcated install system with packages... but that can be fixed.
This is one thing that we are working hard to eliminate. So far, only the OpenGL development packages are needed as dependencies, and that is only if you are building from source. We hope to make 2048 as distro-independant as possible. The current build has only been tested on PCLinuxOS and Fedora Core 5, both with nVidia graphics cards. We have not yet tested ATI, but we plan to in the near future.
JP

Post by JP »

Im gonna try and install PCLinuxOS tomorrow (trying to get my latest game to work on Linux) so i'll no doubt check it out at some point :D
Image Image Image
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

a pitty ..many good gfx artists use windows based art packages :roll: ;)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

A major problem for Linux systems is 3d support. Although many distributions do quite a good job with updates you're still often forced to do it manually. And in both cases you'll need kernel sources, maybe precompiled modules etc.
Oh, and latest SVN works quite good with NVidia cards (if you have the latest drivers installed). I've also added xrandr support so even without XF86VidMode you can use fullscreen.
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

hybrid: Yeah, we're using the SVN version after the source package from the website wouldn't compile. Irrlicht SVN compiled the first time for me, but rappermas is having problems with GLX. It's not an Irrlicht problem, though.

I'm adding a new design to the site. It's from a premade K2 style, so there are some wierd colors on it. I'm still chaning them around, but the header image is done. I think it'll work well with the style of the game.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

GLX?

I had probs with my nvidia in the early times I used to have Linux installed. I had to stages. One was when the times of red hat 4 and a bit before, when I used to install with vram floppies, and later from what goes from Mandrake 7 to 8.2. Later I just was having too much OSes in my multiboot machine for so little HD space...

I remember for certain mandrake versions having prbs with the glx stuff. I hadd to deal with a lot of editing in the etc xconfig86 (was that the name? lol, how memory fails..) and several things. But I managed not only to fix then in those early times, but also forcing it to boot with my other card (lol, for these experiments that's another good reason to have not boot directly to xwindow...)

what I was trying to mention is...While...well, there are ppl like me, that i work for game companies (when there are offers) and still am not a windows die hard, as I like both systems, and my main tools today are Wings3d(Multi platform), Blender(Multi platform), UltimateUnwrap (windows), many great artist are using Max only, or Maya only, or whatever. (lol, my XSI purchased came with a shiny Linux version...) .Many are pros bored in the free time. :) Chances to grab one of those guys(I'm thinking mostly in highend ppl) are hard, but when they do, man do they do magic to a project.

Anyway, maybe you are thinking that to demonstrate (is there actually a need for that? We all know Linux is capable of everything, and is a matter of interest on hardware companies, and game developers only betting the totally safe buck, just that. Besides, I think that has been already demonstrated several times.) that of linux is game capable, you also need the guys doing art use only linux art packages? 'Cause I see it a bit excesive.

I'm not in the point of having time to help. Just making a point.Anyway, I like FPS games, would be cool to see it. Yet I have not decided to mount again a distro here as multiboot...so mayeb I wont be able to check it ;)

I'm more on the multi oses solutions...But ok...
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Blender and GIMP are prolly enough for most hobbyists to do 100% linux art.

Even though i dont use linux i use blender's built in painting tools for skinning. So linux isnt so limited on the art side of things as long as the artists havent used commercial software and become used to it.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

No.Indeed, I myself could perfectly do with : Wings3d, blender, gimp. perfectly. I kno the handling of all them. Not fully fully each software (well, wings yes) but yes what I need to make pro stuff ;) (ie, maybe I dont know yet well how to handle fluids, but cause I never needed only.)

My point is...comercial softwares which have a history of 10ths of years, with armies of developers, tend to have more features, and lots of shortcut ways. Is not only habit. there's a bunch of features not present in Linux tools, which are on max , maya, XSI, Lightwave. Why keep those artists out? They key thing is, the game is been programmed in Linux. I think it'd be to strict to force all be done in a single platform. I see nice that is compiled and programmed in Linux, but, what's the prob if an artist does some characters in its Cinema4d in his Mac OSX, and another makes his art in Max, while other member does his artwork in Blender+gimp? you code every single bit in Linux, so the proof is there (again, if there's a psycological need to prove that, I'm more for a multiplatform, universal feeling , I liked the root taken late years by open source, where you have binaries for all platforms. At work, I can load my tools both in Linux and Windows, that the behave the same. Aint it wonderful? )

Anyway, is a point am a bit curious about, sorry if I hijacked a bit...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

What is more...using opengl if u want...Why not give windows users the chance to test the linux developing power in games, too. You can add that "nice" comment I saw in other places, like seing, "this was made in and for linux, but we were as gentle as to make a fast port to win32"

Well, I had a free mesh, but...maybe it wont suit. It was made partially with windows tools (ultimate unwrap for uvmapping, 50$ windows) , and multiplatform tools (win, linux , mac) : Wings3d and Blender.

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=torso_e.jpg&h=xs303&d=06295
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=fighter.jpg&h=xs62&d=06015
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=weps.jpg&h=xs62&d=06015

As you see in the weapon, was an fps, but I made it a bit ironical. Yet tho model looks realistic. Was one of my first models, some little errors there, but ppl never notice XD

However, I doubt that the theme matches. Rarely does, as each fps has its own story.

And anyway, was given away free for every body. Looong ago. So it cant be a custom mesh exclusive for anyone.It was quite low poly. the times now are more hi poly meshes. I think is like 1900 tris.
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

We only meant that the game is for showing what Linux can do in terms of graphical power and "next-gen" special effects. Every artist has his/her own tools, and in no way are we saying that everything has to be made with open source Linux tools. For example, I'll be using Photoshop CS2 to make the UI. That's because I find The GIMP hard to work with. We won't be imposing rules that say our team can't use Windows tools when it is most convenient.

Of course, I am not saying that Linux cannot do everything that Windows can in terms of gaming. I'm am only saying that some people see Linux as an OS for techy people. With this game, we hope to change the minds of those people and show them that you can still have fun.

It's also because I've seen many people say that there aren't many good games for Linux. Of course, there is Nexuiz and a few other multiplayer games, but there has not been a good quality single-player FPS centered around an intense and ever-evolving storyline.

About Windows support... this is something we decided on when the project first started. We will not be wasting our time trying to get every single bit of code to be cross-platform. This defeats the purpose of the game. If it runs on Linux and Windows, it's like saying "Oh, look! It looks great on Linux, but you can do the exact same thing on Windows without all of the geek stuff!" That's not what we want to happen. The game is completely open source, so if someone in the future would like to port the game to Windows, we have no problem with that.

I've almost finished up the site/blog. After it's done, I'll work on the wiki. I'm thinking about making it with MediaWiki, because it has the most features. Who knows. *shrugs*

Also, one of our main goals is to make this game as customizable as possible. As said on the website, with the scripting engine, you can easily create completely different game by just changing the scripts. There's also plans to make a MOD environment complete with a script editor and map maker. It will be open source, as well, but will possibly be provided as a seperate download later on. The editor will also be included with the two disc set.

vermeer: Those models are cool!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

cypher543 wrote:We only meant that the game is for showing what Linux can do in terms of graphical power and "next-gen" special effects.
then that sounds to me as a quite good idea.
Every artist has his/her own tools, and in no way are we saying that everything has to be made with open source Linux tools. For
That's quite clever.
example, I'll be using Photoshop CS2 to make the UI. That's
Yup, I started to realize a bit of this when read at your blog about your PS CS brushes....(well, the ones from that other person at devian art)
because I find The GIMP hard to work with.
Me too. And am sad t osay wacom in Gimp for Window does not go half as smooth as in Linux. Anyway, I use a plenty load of win 2d painting tools, Art Rage, Art Weaver, Twisted Brush, Pixia, Open canvas free beta, (soon probably Paint.net, which seem to rock ) ...etc.At jobs, allways, but allways, Adobe PS.It's like...well...been using it since its 2.0 version.We're in 9 now ;)
We won't be imposing rules that say our team can't use Windows tools when it is most convenient.
Cool, then a lot of artists more will be available :)
Of course, I am not saying that Linux cannot do everything that
Indeed it can. I have my XSI linux version, I think there's Maya for Linux, and I dunno if one can run PS in Wine...
Anyway, there are other great options: Xara Extreme is free only for Linux, and I have yet a 94mb rpm and tar files of the gift away Corel made of it corel photoPaint 9 years ago...
Windows can in terms of gaming. I'm am only saying that some
I got hooked with Gl Tron...
people see Linux as an OS for techy people. With this game, we
indeed, I have the feel one can customize way more a xwin modern desktop that u can with Xp.
hope to change the minds of those people and show them that you can still have fun.
I think main issue tends to be card drivers along with being Linux a market that comercial games developers see as a non purchasing people.
But is unrelated to what it could do. For a start, I see it as mor estable than win. And surely better in memory handling.But I dunno, is an impression.
I my self stick with windows for my job as game artist or designer, tend to require -at companies- only win software.(or multiplatform)
It's also because I've seen many people say that there aren't many good games for Linux.
But is as ..mainly devers companies seing no market there, that is, no huge market, and if one thing is clear in the crappy direction game production hs taken in last times is...No risk as a rule. That's their main law. So, all are allways cloning war games, secret operations games, make sequels of the sequels of the sequels... And only go for sure-selling values. Why is this? easy. Is not like shareware games. They need 5 -3 years to develope a game, tehy cannot tell the investors "it didnt sell", after those years. Of course, they still have to do. A game doing well is almost a miracle these times, counting on that game production cost as gone mad to the ceiling and way beyonds, specially with normal maps, parallax, displacement and whatever comes next...High end, cinema, but with loads of probs. Cinema aint at its best moment either, anyway...
Smaller productions, cleverer ones, are they key, imo.
Of course, there is Nexuiz and a few other multiplayer games, but there has not been a good quality single-player FPS centered around an intense and ever-evolving storyline.
Well, no worries here. There's no good storylines either in AAA games for windows either. they just copy already bad stories.
With some brilliant exceptions. But veeery rare.
About Windows support... this is something we decided on when the project first started. We will not be wasting our time trying to get every single bit of code to be cross-platform. This defeats the purpose of the game. If it runs on Linux and Windows, it's like saying "Oh, look! It looks great on Linux, but you can do the exact same thing on Windows without all of the geek stuff!" That's not what we want to happen.
I can understand it...Am just to lazy for install a Linux just to test it...mostly to not maintain two systems...plus my HD is getting really small...Oh, well.One cant have it all.When I had two wins and 2 linux at same pc, it was really having probs with space, and now I have much mor e issues with space ...
The game is completely open source, so if someone in the future would like to port the game to Windows, we have no problem with that.
ok
Also, one of our main goals is to make this game as customizable as possible. As said on the website, with the scripting engine, you can easily create completely different game by just changing the scripts. There's also plans to make a MOD environment complete with a script editor and map maker. It will be open source, as well, but will possibly be provided as a seperate download later on. The editor will also be included with the two disc set.
Cool...just provide some sort of pair of formats, ie , like x, and obj, or b3d and obj, which may allow to import meshes from windows artists. I am not saying do a port of the Linux editor (which would be ideal for win artists)...but at least allow import the levels and characters in usual 3d formats like is possible in irrlicht engine.
vermeer: Those models are cool!
Thx. :) Today am dozens times better ;)
I have it done. I think even Blender-rigged. I have not to waste time on it, is done. So ping me if at some moment ur interested for this FPS(I'd upload to some free temporary depot of those..) .Is an FPS model, just cant fit anywhere else (other wise I'd have said Julius. ) Anyway, is free for all.Was given away long ago, so is already used by some, and can be used by any in a future. Is not as good as to disallow that ;) I did with no $ in mind , I was in my first years then.

Ive taken part in several mods, and all I can tell , is easier for the average avid gamer to get into editing, this way. There tend to be scripting guys, no real heavy programming, modelers, animators, level guys...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

...loks like PS 7 (which rocks) works in wine well :

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1336

CS2 , not so much.
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

The current build has only been tested on PCLinuxOS and Fedora Core 5