Basic thoughts about a tile based map used with Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

Noooooo

using 2d is easy but not fun and really limited

using 3d elements permit use of great effects (lights, shadows,....)
and this that the autor will.
L'eternité c'est long, surtout vers la fin...

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred
Emil_halim

Post by Emil_halim »

oh , now i get your question write.

but you could easily do many effect with 2D , such as fading in & out , using alpha blending , making shadow and much more.........

i have made many many effects for 2D with my Magic library , and i think you could do it with pure irrlicht.

so give me one effect that you want to do and i will try to help you.
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

i want simply use all effetcs usable with 3d

ALL

that includes shadow of a mesh, lihting from a light (!)
and also.....

can i nor replace 2d squaree by a 3d square ?

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred
Emil_halim

Post by Emil_halim »

there is some thing you must think about.

tile map with 2D drawing will virtualy draw , i.e only the part of map which currntly visible and draws as a backgorund sliding, so how you could do that with 3D ,ie suppos you have many characters with deffernt z coordinats and light and moving camera so where will you put (in Z axis ) the sliding map and how you will spcify the width and height of part of the map that will be draw.

just give me your exactly idea.

drawing tile map in 3D world does not a big deal, just create a plane mesh and divid it into small quads each quad has it's vertexs and it's texture coordinates ,assign texture coordinates to a spcific cell in your texture , now i am thinking in how to scroll it.
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

exemple ?