Various 3D Engines

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Elaran

Post by Elaran »

One more question :)

What sort of polycount is this engine capable of handling for main characters in games of a 1st person shooter type? Or perhaps even better, what is the functional range (from lowest to highest)?
Many stupid things are uttered by those whose only motivation is to say something original - Voltair
buhatkj

this thread enlightened me...

Post by buhatkj »

hehe check this stuff out ;-)

given:

Code: Select all

// disable mouse cursor

device->getCursorControl()->setVisible(false);

// add billboard

scene::IBillboardSceneNode * bill = smgr->addBillboardSceneNode();
	bill->setMaterialType(video::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR );
	bill->setMaterialTexture(0, driver->getTexture("media/textures/particle.bmp"));
	bill->setMaterialFlag(video::EMF_LIGHTING, false);
	bill->setSize(core::dimension2d<f32>(20.0f, 20.0f));
ok so we have a billboard and we have turned off the mouse pointer ok?

now, in the rendering loop, do this:

Code: Select all

core::vector3df intersection;
		core::triangle3df tri;
		//!get a ray from the current mouse position
		ray = smgr->getSceneCollisionManager()->getRayFromScreenCoordinates(device->getCursorControl()->getPosition());
		if (smgr->getSceneCollisionManager()->getCollisionPoint(ray, selector, intersection, tri)){
				bill->setPosition(intersection);
				lastCursorPosition = core::vector3df(intersection.X,0,intersection.Z);//ignore the y coord
		}
so now what we have is a cute little billboard that doesnt point where the camera is looking, but where the _mouse_ is pointing in 3d. the purpose of this of course, is that that vector, lastCursorPosition, now contains the x and z of the last spot _on_the_ground_ where the cursor pointed, so now if we then go in our event receiver and watch for clicks from the mouse, we can, on a click, tell the "player" to then set lastCursorPosition as a destination they should go to, using something like opensteer to guide them :-) this, (plus a lot of other stuff i have yet to do) should allow me to have character movement like NWN in Fmorg :-)
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
stodge

Post by stodge »

I have to chuckle when people complain about Torque; it doesn't do bumpmapping etc... It does because people have programmed it in, though it doesn't do it out of the box, so to speak. And what is "pure C++"?
LagAlot

Post by LagAlot »

my biggest complaints with torque is this:
you HAVE to relight the scene (takes about 3 sec) to change shadows cast by BSP on the terrain. And little things like:they hardcoded the sun vector ..an easy fix mind you but whats up with that?! Shadows cast from entities with transpearancy (ie trees) kills the Frame rate. oh well live and learn.. :)