3d Action Adventure - more programmers needed as well

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i has been programming c++ for just a year so i dont want to be a load for you. 35 hours of game play is A LOT so it means A LOT work to do. anyway if you dont have anything against my participation you can count me in. i was thinking about starting to make something like a horror - adventure game with rpg elements but that would be too much for one man and possibly would lead to unfinished project. so im in :)
Marek

Post by Marek »

This game will basically be that, just not an RPG per-se. It'll have some horror elements in it. 35 hours of gameplay is steep, but if we can manage to pull a crew together, It won't be as steep as it would be with just 2 programmers. Which is the point of requesting assistance now. I knew not everyone would be interested on joining, but I also knew those we could have help now, would get our goal done sooner so that we can show what we have, and get a bigger group. I don't mind helping you with coding, but I must warn you, when I get on a roll I tend to program almost non-stop until my brain rots off. Anyway, I have to go to work. Ryan will probably be on later to talk more about it.
-- Marc
Chaos Studios: Lead Programmer
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I'd have to say you guys already have a good head start just by having each other.

I do it alone and I gave up on trying to form a team a long time ago well on the irrlicht forums anyways.

not really sure why everyone is being so harsh on this one you two seem to have it together better then most I'd say.

I'm not interested in joining as like others I have my plate full as it is.

not at this time anyways. but I think you'll find that a team is easier to create if people are actually interested in your idea. when people join a team its because of the game they are building.

so if you do as others have mentioned and get some major work done and show it. and people understand the concept and what the game is going to be like. then you will have a much easier time.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Finally an actual positive reply. Myself and Ryan have worked (and argued, oh god do we argue) on this for what seems like an eternity. We're gonna see if we can churn somthing out that you guys have requested to see, so we can get the ball rolling.
-- Marc
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

roxaz wrote:i has been programming c++ for just a year so i dont want to be a load for you. 35 hours of game play is A LOT so it means A LOT work to do. anyway if you dont have anything against my participation you can count me in. i was thinking about starting to make something like a horror - adventure game with rpg elements but that would be too much for one man and possibly would lead to unfinished project. so im in :)
Once the engine is finished gameplay time has nothing to do with programming time or expertise, usually the scripters would use the engine to actually construct the story part of the play (If you use scripting) orrr, some games are just endless and depend on the players skill on how long they last e.g that rabbit game that was just posted up (I think, i havent really played it much)

So really I recommend you join and learn, I have seen people that have programmed for a long long time and not nearly as good as people that have been doing it for a year.

PS: Marek, I recommend a marriage counselor :P
Marek

Post by Marek »

BlindSide wrote:
roxaz wrote:i has been programming c++ for just a year so i dont want to be a load for you. 35 hours of game play is A LOT so it means A LOT work to do. anyway if you dont have anything against my participation you can count me in. i was thinking about starting to make something like a horror - adventure game with rpg elements but that would be too much for one man and possibly would lead to unfinished project. so im in :)
Once the engine is finished gameplay time has nothing to do with programming time or expertise, usually the scripters would use the engine to actually construct the story part of the play (If you use scripting) orrr, some games are just endless and depend on the players skill on how long they last e.g that rabbit game that was just posted up (I think, i havent really played it much)
Quite right there.

BlindSide wrote:So really I recommend you join and learn, I have seen people that have programmed for a long long time and not nearly as good as people that have been doing it for a year.

That's very true. Infact, it verys person to person on skill and quality.
BlindSide wrote:PS: Marek, I recommend a marriage counselor :P
O_o....
-- Marc
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

To do a project, u must break it to pieces, elements of a Lego.... then you pack those pieces in a sack and tell some people to build stuff upon this Lego.... unless you have pieces of Lego to show..... dont ....

rendering engine :arrow: phys engine :arrow: development tools :arrow: interactivity engine :arrow: project START with a nice post in irrlicht forums..... hereby none of people bothers to contact , but bothers to make an angry post, right
what is this thing...
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

These are hard times when starting a project. Or even being in the first development stages of it. (Well I can say that about myself too lol, it's really hard to make it all over)

But I think the best would be to ask your friends from 'real' (not the virtual ones) for help. There are quite a lot of people making some graphical stuff for example or interested in sound desing in amateur way.

I would search near your house first :P.

Besides you would have some 'control' over what is being done. I remember that a long time ago I was doing a project with some guy (from internet) who lol suddenly dissapeared and I haven't seen a message from him since last year lol.

And making a team in real would be great because -> you could see and check how is going the progress with 3d models or maps. (you could give your 3d modellers and animators chocolate bars or something to encourage them to get to work :P)

To be honest I think there are dozens of lazy a*s*s'es just offering their great help and showing off their " 3d modeling expert will make some models and help with amateur project ".
And after somebody like that will join you to make 3d stuff, you can be sure that it might end like this:

- 3 months of making promises that a lot already have been done and there is more to come lol

- no response at all after one week

- 3 models done for you and 'bye bye' lol

(the 3rd option seems the best doesn't it ?)

My point is - % chance to find someone co-operative and really helpful is like % chance in making the highest lvl item in Lineage 2 with crafting lol

PS Sorry if this is a bit offtopic (I hope not!)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

dawasw wrote: ask your friends from 'real'
All my real friends are interested only in fast cars and women :(
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

All my real friends are interested only in fast cars and women
Well that's another problem.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Well has anyone joined your project yet??
n7600gt 256mb ram 128bit
AMD 3200+
GA-K8NF-9 gigabyte
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Marek wrote:Ofcourse the project itself is serious.
Unfortunately, we've seen nothing to convince us of that, just a rough outline of the game, plus an assurance that there's much more design that we can't see yet. We get a lot of those round here.

Here's what gives me pause to question your seriousness. 35 hours of single-player gameplay, in a modern AAA 3D title, requires about 250 (experienced) man years of work, from concept to GM. You may be able to pare it down to about 50 man years, but don't skimp on design, or you'll pay later in testing.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

btw story is not so atractive to keep player so long playing such a game. 35 hours in some kind of castles... i dont know...
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

I'm betting this project has by now forked into Super Zombie Monkey Guitar Hero Ball, and Strip Battleships.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

rogerborg wrote:I'm betting this project has by now forked into Super Zombie Monkey Guitar Hero Ball, and Strip Battleships.
:shock: Dude