Irrlicht tech demo

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Want it to happen?

yes
99%
no
1%

Total votes: 75

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

The first part that I put up has just basic Irrlicht.
I used the bsp level in the original demo, and added a particle fire and the Irricht sound using audiere.
Eternl Knight has it now, but I don't know what he is adding to it.
This definately isn't a "one person" demo. :)
I'd like to see it set up as a real game would. Using Irrlicht to it's fullest, and heavily commented so that new people to Irrlicht can see exactly what's going on and where. This should help with some of the newbie questions, and show off what Irrlicht can do. There are a lot of things that Irrlicht can do that I don't even know about. (been trawling the code again and noticing hidden little things)
Think of this as "The Irrlicht Communities Baby". :)
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

When I get the time away from working on 3 sites, and my current project I will work on a new multi level "Tech Demo Level" fo this project.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

the current tech demo already uses [a] 3rd party lib[s]. I have never gotten audiere to work correctly on linux. the best way would be to set up some ifdefs for things like 'ode', 'newton' or 'internal'. and have the system default to internal. Even if the ifdefs were just 'stubs', i.e. ifdef newton put newton code here kinda things...
Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz - 2048mb DDR2 800 - geForce 9600 - Slackware12.1

Word-image-symbol programming limits, controls, and imprisons the individual.
Smash the control images, smash the control machine.
esaptonor

Post by esaptonor »

I think this thread needs reviving as the current irrlicht tech demo really needs to be upgraded.

I would like to see the demo be in two parts,
an outdoor area with the grass scene node and that tree scene node and water etc
and an indoor bump mapped level with some new good looking animated meshes (sydney just doesn't cut it), with dynamic lights and the animated meshes casting shadows.

particle systems and HDR effects and all the other special scene nodes should be in too, in which ever part suits them best.

I am against 3rd party libs, as its ment to show off irrlicht, and in saying that, it really does need to look good, which is why i don't think sydney or the quake level should be in this. Much better looking levels should be in.

oh, and i am also against the room tutorial idea, i don't think this should be a tutorial for new irrlicht users, it should be a tech demo!

at the very least irrlicht needs some new screenshots to show off.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Now with irrKlang there is even non need for external sound libraries (at least not for Windows :( )
roguelike

Post by roguelike »

It could be a competition, 1st prize being included in the SDK as the offical demo.

Judged not only on looks, special effects etc, but on the source code as well.

Just a thought :idea:
________
ALGERIAN COOKING
Last edited by roguelike on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil_halim

Post by Emil_halim »

Hi esaptonor

3 monthes ago , i took the base frame work of this thread that was written by MikeR , and start making the splash window for this project , here is the link of MikeR & i code and some screenshots

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... &start=210

but there is no intristing 0r responding from anybody or any comments , so i include it with my Magic Library.

indeed this project needs some attentions from everybody really loves Irrlicht , it will explain the power points of Irrlicht.
esaptonor

Post by esaptonor »

Well i don't see this project going anywhere unless someone is put in charge, or else all that will happen is people just keep discussing and never get around to doing it.