Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Killingsworth

Post by Killingsworth »

0.14 really showed some improvements, Good job niko. I've been looking at irrlicht for a while, But I just now decided to start using it. I like it, it is really usefull. As far as a Mac port, It could only help irrlicht, but we shouldnt stop everything else just to make it work on Mac.
You wouldn't hit a kid with contacts would you?!

Post by Guest »

Maize wrote:Yeah, I only tested it with dx8 and 9 but they both had the same problems. The terrain flashes making for a rather crappy time. I guess I should be happy I wont be needing the terrain for a while.
or stick to 0.12.0 until 0.15.0 is released with BUG FIXES :)
Maize

Post by Maize »

Anonymous wrote:
Maize wrote:Yeah, I only tested it with dx8 and 9 but they both had the same problems. The terrain flashes making for a rather crappy time. I guess I should be happy I wont be needing the terrain for a while.
or stick to 0.12.0 until 0.15.0 is released with BUG FIXES :)
Shutup man. Im not sure if what you said was supposed to be funny because it wasnt. I really can respect the amount of time and effort Niko put into irrlicht. There was a lot of new features in .14. Another thing you apparently forgot to read is that I said I WONT BE NEEDING THE TERRAIN FOR A WHILE. In other words, my current project doesnt need terrain thus I dont care. I just thought I would point it out.

Post by Guest »

no it wasn't a joke it was a serious suggestion (because I am sticking with 12 at the moment due to bugs in 14 that I DO need fixes for).

Talk about over-sensitive.. :roll:
pr3t3nd3r_guest

Post by pr3t3nd3r_guest »

i don't know ... but is so hard to put the terrain from 1.12 to 1.13? and fix the bugs :?

Post by Guest »

And this is why Irrlicht isn't very popular - these forums are embarassing with no community feeling. It's just a bunch of angry teenagers whining. Would you like cheese with that whine? No of course, you're all too young.

Stop bitching about each other and Irrlicht and either use Irrlicht, fix it or use something else.
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

Actually, what I think puts people off of Irrlicht is not so much the whining (you get that with EVERY engine), but the few immature & arrogant members that tell people new to the forum to shut up, get lost, "do it yourself", etc.

You are going to get both the whingers & the newbies on EVERY engine out there. I believe that one of the best things about Irrlicht is the ease in which one can get an application up & running. However, this ease stops once you get to the forums. I have personally found that Niko is quite pleasant when he posts but nigh most of the "forum personalities" are either rude, arrogant, or both.

I like Irrlicht. I think it could become a very popular engine in open-source. However, were it not for the fact that I was using Irrlicht for a month and a half before reading the forums - I would have dropped it like a rock.

--EK
coolsummer

Post by coolsummer »

Short message:

Thanks Niko for your work :!:
elander

Post by elander »

Eternl Knight wrote:Actually, what I think puts people off of Irrlicht is not so much the whining (you get that with EVERY engine), but the few immature & arrogant members that tell people new to the forum to shut up, get lost, "do it yourself", etc.

You are going to get both the whingers & the newbies on EVERY engine out there. I believe that one of the best things about Irrlicht is the ease in which one can get an application up & running. However, this ease stops once you get to the forums. I have personally found that Niko is quite pleasant when he posts but nigh most of the "forum personalities" are either rude, arrogant, or both.

I like Irrlicht. I think it could become a very popular engine in open-source. However, were it not for the fact that I was using Irrlicht for a month and a half before reading the forums - I would have dropped it like a rock.

--EK
This guy is a troll. He tried to start flame wars in the Blender forum and is trying the same thing here.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

elander wrote: This guy is a troll. He tried to start flame wars in the Blender forum and is trying the same thing here.
Or you just proved him correct :lol:
Why not keeping this thread a little more on the subject? I'd love to see much less of all this crap, and also less of people complaining about it. And to start with this I'll stop immediately. 8)
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

This guy is a troll. He tried to start flame wars in the Blender forum and is trying the same thing here.
Um, please show me where I (a) started a flame war on the Blender forums, or (b) how stating that a "few bad eggs" can destroy the feeling of community for newbies is trolling?

If I were a "troll" just trying to start flamewars - would I have tried helping Spintz out with the OpenGL issues in Irrlicht?

Why is it that when someone states that being nicer might help Irrlicht adoption, they are a troll, but when someone goes rancid on a newbie for asking a reasonable question - that's OK?

If you want to start a new thread or PM your responses, feel free. But I'm not going to let an accusation of being a "troll" stand without answer.

--EK
elander

Post by elander »

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 3&start=60

Yup it's allways the others who are rude and arrogant not you. Now stop being a whinny baby and if you want to diss anyone go tell it in their faces and leave that crap out of the forums.
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

Uh, dude - your link has nothing to do with what you just said. It doesn't point to a post where I am "rude or arrogant", it does not point to the flamewar you believe I started at the Blender forums, nor does it point to me "whining".

If you TRULY wanted to "leave that crap" out of the forums - you would have taken my invitation to PM me on the subject. Instead, you continue to pursue the ad hominem attacks on me without backing up your statements. I am not personally effected by the "atmosphere" in the forums. I would LIKE it to be helpful and friendly, but if it isn't - there is no skin off my shoulders.

If I wanted to "diss" someone - I WOULD do it to their face (as much as possible given the anonymity of the Internet) and if I simply wanted to "stir up trouble (you know - what "trolls" do) - I wouldn't do it under the nick I also sell 3D content & applications under.

Just because you do not like what someone says does not make it untrue.

--EK
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Another topic that looses its track.

Please guys, let's try to make something useful out of it.
elander

Post by elander »

Sure just after cleaning up a bit of the poop EK is trying to make of the Irrlicht forums. This was the thread i was refereing to:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 53&start=0

"And the development community (as opposed to the artist community) is quite elitist. Which is funny given the code quality (or lack thereof) in several places throughout the code-base. That is not to say that they haven't made some important innovations (SDNA is pretty cool), but I have seen many people suggest features / improvements only to be smacked down (hard) by the developers. "

"I was the guy that posted about their "elitist" atitude, and I stick by it. While they may "now" be implmenting features people have requested/suggested - when they are suggested unless you are ( a ) one of the developers or ( b ) the idea is an extension of their existing features - you will be trounced on. "

"Implementing features that Ton does not like (regardless of how useful or highly requested they are) will not make it into the main trunk. For example, Ton has stated that CAD/CAM like utilities will not be allowed. So one cannot make a box EXACTLY 10 units wide. This is easy to implement (and has been in several branches), but will not be integrated as it is against Ton's "artistiic philosophy". Which is fine, he controls the featureset and all, but it IS elitist. "

"For the record - it was not Joeri who blasted me (& others), it was Ton himself. "

Again you are trying to do the same thing with the irrlicht forums. If you have anything against any menber of the forums either use PM or make your own thread addressing the problem with the "evidence" you didn't provide and leave your personal whinny dramas out of it. You are not contributing with anything you are only giving an exagerated bad image of these forums that is far from the truth.