Some questions about the engine

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
I_Wonder

Some questions about the engine

Post by I_Wonder »

(Sorry for my bad English)
im a noob, and i have always wanted to make a game.
Looking fo a good open source engine i ended up with Irrlicht.
many things looked good (espesially per pixel lighning)

Q1: is there a recomended polylimit on models? cos i've seen the screenshots on the page, and those were really lopoly!

Q2: is it possible to play back .avi (or other formats)

don't remember any more i wonder about...
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

These questions have been asked. Recently even.
Please use the search function. That's what it's there for.
Last edited by MikeR on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
I_Wonder

Post by I_Wonder »

OK, sorry :(
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

The wiki (irrforge.org) has a class for playing avi via DirectShow, designed for irrlicht. Windows only.

As for the recommend poly limit, who knows? I'm at 50K and running at 90 fps, but god only knows what I'm doing wrong. I can say that you will have to do a LOT of polygon modeling before you freak this thing out.
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

Irrlicht uses 16 bit indicies, which only allows you to have a max of 65,535 polys. I could be wrong, so don't hold me on that.
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca

Post by Guest »

For an average scene 20,000 polys max in view at once is a good standard (to be useable on older machines) thi is of course dependent on many other factors so the best thing to do is just experiment with the lowest spec of your target hardware and see how it goes.
I_Wonder_no_more

Post by I_Wonder_no_more »

then i will be using Irrlicht for my project 8)
Xaron

Post by Xaron »

Just a note: Conquistador has mentioned that Irrlicht uses 16bit indices which limits to 65k vertices. Of course you can change this to 32bit or just use IrrSpintz (search for it) which contains a lot of bug fixes and great modifications. ;)

Regards - Xaron
Dotten

Post by Dotten »

Me again, is it possible to add menues in Irrlicht???
pfo

Post by pfo »

Me again, is it possible to add menues in Irrlicht???
Does the mesh viewer demo not have menus?

Post by Guest »

Curious question, I'm wanting to experiment with a character mod that is 9000 poly with normal map and etc. .... but wait hmmm I may experiment with something, I like the switching to 32 bit or using IrrSpintz recommended by Xaron, I've got alot of work ahead, any further input on poly counts and links?, ( I did do a search and found this :cry: )
pfo

Post by pfo »

any further input on poly counts
Here's a tip: polycount is a misnomer. Several years ago it was a good benchmark of 3d engine performance. Nowadays it's not the most important thing. Polycount does matter, but it matters in combination with how many materials are being used, and how complex those materials are to render. Another factor is how many groups of a material their are. During rendering, when it draws a different material for an object, it has to change states and this can be expensive. The less often you change states, and the less complex materials you have, the more polygons you can use. If you want lots of polygons, use cheaper materials, but then a few more expensive materials could be more beneficial than more polys with cheaper materials.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I gotcha on that one, I'll think I'll just demo on the technology for next gen demos, I have a setup for it but I may have to re-configure some things

I want to demo single character on one scene at high poly, with character control, I think I can do it, I keep seeing other games thoe FPS, I will have to change some things for thrid person, I believe this engine has alot of ability

Thanks for the tip info