VisualEditor 1.0-1.4

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
etcaptor

VisualEditor 1.0-1.4

Post by etcaptor »

VisualEditor 0.4 was uploaded.
The table with new features are on my site. Now OpenAL and terrain are supported. New navigation system. Another way for creating and placing of nodes on grid, surface and buildings. Align system was created.
Thanks for all users for advices, especially to vermer :)
In help directory exist an index.chm file. This file covers vslib features, so these functions are available for use.
I know there is more to do, some bug exists, and maybe must make some software design improvements. All notes are welcome.
I was have not any time for detail testing of this version, so will commit this task for everyone :wink:
Only one example was added to this version - Terrain_OpenAL, but it covers the new features.
Have fun.

Last edited by etcaptor on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

yay! 1st one to post! Great news! Can't wait to test it Captor!. :D Many will have a happy weekend!

ps. Hope things are better by now. :wink:
ps2. Forgot to say; thank you for starting the thread again! :D
Last edited by afecelis on Sat May 06, 2006 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Thanks Alvaro, still must to do many boring things, but all be OK, I hope.
This version was tested only on my home PC, so I want to know whether was not omited something, because I was in a hurry.
ImageImage
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

Ok so that means i have wasted a week of my life :(! I tried downloading visual editor from ur site but it didnt download and from the screens it didnt look MASSIVE so i decided to make my own! But this screenshot surely tells it all! It has everything! AMAZING to say the least!

So when are your releasing it publicly? and planning to make it opensource?
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

Amazing work Etcaptor! Thanks :D
Halan

Post by Halan »

ill take a look a it too :)
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Very nice !

This scene with dragon and church is set to default :D ?
lug

Post by lug »

Sweet! How does one add terrain? I've read the following page:

http://captorsoft.port5.com/terrain.htm

But when I go to click on terrain button, the help pop-up said it's unfinished.

Also, when I right click and try to add animator inside the "Scene TreeView," I get the following:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/ ... ptions.jpg

Also, if I use VE in non-maximized window, the view port flows into one another:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/ ... lowing.jpg

Great work by the way! I'm pretty new to VE so, some of these bug report may already have been logged. :(
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

lug wrote:Sweet! How does one add terrain? I've read the following page:

http://captorsoft.port5.com/terrain.htm

But when I go to click on terrain button, the help pop-up said it's unfinished.
I forgot to remove "unfinished" from hint button :) , it works.
So:
1. Click on this Button:
2. After that Terrain Inspector appears on Objecy Inspector part /right/
3. Click on the "heightMapFile inspector item and use its button to load heightmap file. Then click on the "MaterialTexture" inspector item and use its button to load material texture. Then if you want detailmap click on the "DetaillTexture" inspector item and use its button to load material rexture.
4. Click on CreateTerrtain Inspector Button and terrain node will be created in invisible mode.
5. Click with LeftMouseButton on some viewport to place your terrain node in 3d space. That's all. I will add this explanation to the help file.
Also, when I right click and try to add animator inside the "Scene TreeView," I get the following:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/ ... ptions.jpg
If you want to animate any node must do following:
1. Select your node
2. Click on "Animators" toolbar
3. Click on correspondent animator toolbar button
4. Animator Inspector will appear and there you can tune parameters of your animator.
Also, if I use VE in non-maximized window, the view port flows into one another
Yes, works only in maximized mode at now.
RapchikProgrammer wrote:I tried downloading visual editor from ur site but it didnt download.
So when are your releasing it publicly? and planning to make it opensource?
Strange, I can't see any problem with downloading. Yet, here is direct link:
http://www.tret.net/downloads/captor/Vi ... or_0.4.rar
VisualEditor is planned like freeware. At the end of development I will open sources of loader and some parts that can be useful.
Also one additional loader/saver with binary format will be created.
dawasw wrote:Very nice !

This scene with dragon and church is set to default :D ?
:D I'm not a modeler, and have these models on my PC from max and photomodeller 3.1 light, so I decide me to use it. Maybe must remove the dragon, because can't find any rights for using of this model in demos.
The church is free and is interested that this object is with few polygons.
ImageImage
RapchikProgrammer

The app does not run :( ! d3dx9_27.dll was not found! I dont know why its causing a problem! Anybody got this dll or is there something not installed on ma pc?

edit: I forgot about a nice lil tool called google :lol: ! Now it works fine! I cant check all the features as its running at about 10-12 fps on this pc which is very very old! So will check 2mrw on ma other pc!
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

@RapchikProgrammer, thanks for feedback.
I've not made test on another PC at now, so when upload next /sub/version will try to improve these notes from users.
If you use old PC and get low FPS, try to use only one viewport /F9/ key.
ImageImage
RapchikProgrammer

Na the old pc is only for side coding and not any modeling or any other that kind of stuff! The tool is simply amazing! It does take a while to set up your hand though but after that all its very very simple! Thanks a lot etcaptor for such a great tool! But why dont you just set up the camera as an fps camera when right click is pressed instead of that box which is used for rotation!
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I’m glad that you like it :D .
About camera mode:
My old issue was- Irrlicht fps camera with one additional function setMoudeInputEnabled(bool enabled); Only several code lines,
but I leaved it because similar issue takes two passes /camera moving and nodes manipulations/. Current issue supports these passes simultaneously.
But I can include and this camera mode in addition.

Edit:
Today I made test on the job with one slow PC :lol: and found that
-when any elaborate level is created, got less than 20 fps in perspective mode.
That is because a very big far clip distance is used in editor by default. Yet this is not game :wink: . In next release will add optional choice for many parameters like this.
- Seems I forgot to include some textures in media dir.
- d3dx9_27.dll 8) This version was compiled with Irrlicht 0.14. Now with Irrlicht 1.0 this problem disappears.
- Water textures are changed by default :?
ImageImage
RapchikProgrammer

Nice! Another thing why dont u implement ODE or newton physics! Then with some additional work it can be on its way to a FPS creator!
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I begone to do it for my own purposes. For this goal I started creating of "MissionEditor", but it is on early phase of development.
I don't know whether similar issue can be provided without modiffing of Irrlicht sources. For example when node is moved by Editor, correspondent rigid body must "knows" about this. Similar things are related with scaling.
At now will try to keep VisualEditor "clear". I don't want to force user which physics engine to use. I leaved ODE, since some from their examples forces my PC to crash - badly restarts. Also is difficult to compile ODE with borland compiler that I use. Another thing are "onContact" events. They must be defined for multyple materials and to provide some kind of AI.
You can suggest that in this version vsloader needs OpenAL... well, but if user don't want OpenAL :roll: ? One idea is to compile OpenAL support like additional lib or dll, but at now don't know, will choice this at this summer hollydays.
ImageImage