noob's question

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Perceval

noob's question

Post by Perceval »

Ok, i know i'm totally noob.
I've made a very simple prog, it compiles and run fine, but the window close just after it appears.
I'm sure it's a very stupid thing to do, but i can't find the problem.
please, help me !!!
Perceval

Post by Perceval »

Any ideas ?
NOOOO !!!
I'm going to stay blocked on this stupid problem all the rest of my miserable life !!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

May try to go with the examples from Irrlicht first, see if they run fine. Then, post more information on your problem, descriptions of what's exactly happening, console output, some interesting code lines, etc. And first of all:
BE PATIENT
Who do you think you are that you'll get a helpful response after just half an hour with a problem description that my five year old daughter could have done.
Perceval

Post by Perceval »

I can't be more precise, because the console don't stay enough time.
The examples doesn't work since i used 1.0 version.
Acki

Post by Acki »

Hey Hybrid, immer locker bleiben... :lol:

@Perceval:
Just after 1 hour with no information you could not expect any solutions to any problem that could caused anywhere...

What system and ide you're using ???
How does your main loop looks like ???

If the window suddenly disappears you should add a pause methode to the end of your main function...
Something like this for Windows:

Code: Select all

int main(){
  // your code

system("Pause"); // or was it System("Pause"); ???
  return 0;
}
If the window still disappears you place this breakpoint between your code until the window doesn't hide anymore...
This way you'll find the error soon...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
Perceval

Post by Perceval »

Thanks for the reply.
I've already try this, but it does exactly the same.
I'm on winXp, and i use Devcpp.
Acki

Post by Acki »

at system("pause"); the app waits for a key strike...
so the console win doesn't disappear...

move the brake point up the code until it's executed...
or place it at the verry beginning of main and move it down...

show us you main loop !!!
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe start the app from a command prompt. This will stay forever :roll:
The examples are available in binary form. They DO work. If not, you have to setup your system to a state where these are working.
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

hybrid wrote:Who do you think you are that you'll get a helpful response after just half an hour with a problem description that my five year old daughter could have done.

hybrid i love you :) (i guess you know why)

ps: i guess you just forgot to add the while(Device->run()) loop to your app, if you remove that the 01.helloworld also quits right after creation.

so do what hybrid suggested, try to run/compile the exact example code, no changes. if thats not working, we can exclude irrlicht as potential error source, cause its usually working.

the helloworld example also runs in software mode, so this would exclude driver problems i guess.

see ya!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

gfxstyler wrote:hybrid i love you :) (i guess you know why)
:D :D
I think I was quite fair with postings (and posters) in the beginners forum over the last months. But sometimes it's really far too annoying.
Did you practice some transcendental meditation the time you were away from the forums? You have changed completely as it seems :wink: However, I think we two, as well as most others here, have found a good style to handle these situations :)
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

yes, the cure is : dont visit the forum for hours every day and try to avoid threads which headlines contains the keywords "mmorpg", "dev-c++", "...????????????????", "HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", or similar, except you want to have some fun or release some anger :)
Perceval

Post by Perceval »

I don't see why people are so agressive with me. I've just ask a little question to try to find a solution to my problem, and i really don't understand your reactions.

Binaries in the /bin folder works perfectly, but when i compile codes sources, i always got the same problem.
I promise you that the system("pause") method doesn't work here (i've tried at everyline), and that's why i post here. I didn't succeed to make any program since i use 1.0 version, even for program i've made and which run on 0.14.
But if you don't want to help me, there's no problem.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You just have to realize that no fortuneteller is available at the moment. There are hundreds of succesfully solved problems in this forum to witness the fact that people are helping (BTW: me included). But it's first up to you to provide enough input for us to even be able to help. Then, someone may help you - though sometimes it's rather complicated and may take a long time to find a solution.
If you really want some help you should also realize that you are asking us to spend some time on your business, so it's also up to you to be friendly. Probably no one from this forum will make trouble with friendly, calm users. And: No one offended you, yet. I just wanted you to realize that you posting did not make any sense with respect to enabling us to help.
We still have no input from you on the IDE used, the console output (read my advice with command prompt?), etc.
Ced666

Post by Ced666 »

Use your debugger to see what's really happening, then if you are still stuck, provide all usefull information you got while using the debugger.
If you never used a debugger before, I strongly suggest you take some time to learn how to use it; it will make your life much more easier in the future :D .