AMD to buy ATI?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
jam

AMD to buy ATI?

Post by jam »

First it was Intel and ULi, now AMD appears it's going to buy ATI!

Link
Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker ATI for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on Friday.

Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival Intel.

ATI is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with rival Nvidia, and is a big supplier of chipsets - the cluster of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor - to both AMD and Intel.

Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday, the source said...
:shock:
Last edited by jam on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

darn! they should buy Nvidia! :wink:
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

From article:
Source says Applied Micro Devices could announce deal with #2 Canadian chipmaker as early as Monday.
... Applied?
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Why ATI :evil:
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Quall

Post by Quall »

Why don't you guys like ATI?
jam

Post by jam »

Maybe poor Linux support?

Me, either will do.
-- unknown
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

ATI doesn't like me. :(

Nvidia and I sympathize, so....
master123467

Post by master123467 »

when amd buys ati ati's drivers will probbly get much better
zenaku

Post by zenaku »

afecelis wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

darn! they should buy Nvidia! :wink:
They can't afford nVidia.
-------------------------------------
IrrLua - a Lua binding for Irrlicht
http://irrlua.sourceforge.net/
jam

Post by jam »

zenaku wrote: They can't afford nVidia.
Actually, nVidia would have been cheaper to acquire.
-- unknown
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

how can you tell Jam?
Actually, nVidia would have been cheaper to acquire.
I thought Nvidia was bigger than ATI. Also it's stock is better positioned in the market and it shares cost more.
jam

Post by jam »

afecelis wrote:how can you tell Jam?
I thought Nvidia was bigger than ATI. Also it's stock is better positioned in the market and it shares cost more.
As far as I know, no, ATI is a bigger company Vs. nVidia. nVidia deals only with Graphics processing units, Motherboard chipsets and gaming consoles (3D graphics chips), while ATI does all that they also have a big share of the market in handhelds, cellphones and Tablet PC's designing the media co-processors for them. When you add it up I believe ATI's net worth is greater. Now having said that I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time :wink:

Anyways one of the reason's I heard AMD wanted ATI was because AMD would like to use ATI as a stepping stone into the handheld market.
-- unknown
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Yeah I dont like ATI too. I mean good card for media but many people heard about this stories of - fatal installation problems or lots of bugs (and most people say oh ati is da best and drivers are weak <- hmm).

Even in Polish most popular magazine they said that : "Buying an Ati card is a painful experience - make sure you are ready for a very long fight"

Guy was buying ati cards (experienced guy who lives in computer industry for a long time) and he had dozen of problems...

But I like AMD - and to be honest I don't care who buys who.

As far I know Nvidia worked a bit with Intel as I remember good with advertising and stuff. (Or maybe I got bogus on that :P)

I started to dislike a bit Nvidia and Ati because of this PCI (se)xpress - I know its better this 16x but WTF I have to buy a whole new PC to get a newest card huh ;/ ? (and special thanks to motherboard manufacturers - you bastards! :D)

I always used Nvidia and it always worked without any problems.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

yup, same here! Both times I've installed an ATI card they've been nothing but trouble; buggy drivers, weird acceleration issues, yaddah yaddah yaddah.

What I heard is that AMD wants to develop a super-dooper processor with accelerated graphics included. In other words, I think they want to take their 3dnow and 3dnow pro extensions to the next level.

and yup, I also love AMD and Nvidia; and I've also been left behing by PCI express technology. Now my only chance to upgrade is getting a new pc :(
elander

Post by elander »

ATI is evil. If AMD buys it it will become less evil. Maybe even neutral-good. :lol: