A few general questions about IrrEdit

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Weng

A few general questions about IrrEdit

Post by Weng »

Hi,

I've taken a look at the IrrEdit website and it looks interesting.

Can it be used to create a level from scratch? Something like the unreal editor.

And also how is it used together with Irrlicht?
Is the level first created with Irredit and then imported into Irrlicht, where the coding is done?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

you basically use irrEdit to set your scene up, placing meshes made in your modeling packages, adding animators, creating lightmaps etc.. then save it as an irr file, then call smgr->loadScene to load everything back up in irrlicht.
you can use the IDs you set in irrEdit to with smgr->getSceneNodeFromId to grab hold of any nodes you need.
thats about it really, it couldnt be simpler
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Weng

Post by Weng »

irrEdit looks interesting. I'll definitely give it a try.

But can it be used to create levels from scratch? Lets say, can I use irrEdit to create something like the quake 3 level in tutorial 2?
belfegor

Post by belfegor »

No you cant you must first create models in modeling program and
then import them in IrrEdit.
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.
j_pilborough

Post by j_pilborough »

What is the equivalent of smgr->getSceneNodeFromId for Irrlicht.NET?
3ddev

Just my oppinion...

Post by 3ddev »

I have created pretty good levels in IrrEdit .5 without other models. They were rudimentary, but I think that with work someone could deffently make fairly good levels in IrrEdit. Just my oppinion. :wink:
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I am personally using it together with anim8or (http://www.anim8or.com/), but I also thought about adding some few features to make it possible to add or edit simple geometry later, so it can be also used to create simple levels from scratch.
3ddev

My suggestion, Niko...

Post by 3ddev »

My suggestion, Niko, is to add vertice editing. That addition by itself would be enough for anybody to create very good meshes in IrrEdit. I don't think it would be that hard to add, either.

By the way, what does it mean by "using modified version of Irrlicht" in IrrEdit?? What are the changes you added? Will these changes possibly be the future Irrlicht SDK release? Just wondering... :)