war3 models!!?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
omar shaaban

war3 models!!?

Post by omar shaaban »

Are warcraft3 models copyrighted!? :roll:
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Yeah.
sRc

Post by sRc »

why wouldnt they be?
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

because they are provided with the game which is for money. you pay for game and models are a part of that what you pay for.
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Yes you pay for right to play game,and watch models, but not to reuse models for your needs. You don't have copyrights, because you buy game copy, not rights to game trademark or source.
My project in forum- ATMOsphere - new dynamic sky dome for Irrlicht
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

mmm really i didn't see any copyrighted materials on the models!!
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

omar shaaban wrote:mmm really i didn't see any copyrighted materials on the models!!
You honestly think that after spending $40-$60 US (or whatever that equates to in your own currency) gives you the right to use models that the company spent $100000+ on? There is a big enough uproar worldwide with people simply burning and sharing games, how would taking their models and putting in your own game without paying royalties/commission be ok?
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

omar shaaban wrote:mmm really i didn't see any copyrighted materials on the models!!
put their models in commercical use and show blizzard that, they will show you copyright and invitation to the court
cowsarenotevil

Post by cowsarenotevil »

You mean the models themselves aren't good enough?
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

Not only the above applies, but in most countries, the creation of something is an automatic copyright, rather it is stated or not. So yeah, War3 models are copyrighted. I don't know about the format, but the actual geometry is for sure.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:? but what if i...... :twisted: tricked them so i tell them that i made models same as them(and just make some differences with the geometry!!)
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

you know the theory of possibilities? they would use that in the court to crush you. what is possibility that a man could make almost identic models? 1 / 1 000 000? more? i gues they could even get you for their concept using. its sticky thing so if you plan to make money from it - better dont. if you want to play you can use those models, just do not overdo :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

you really need to learn what an EULA is and how to tolerate reading one.

one of these days you'll end up selling your soul at the click of a button.

do do do do duh duh duh duh... the twilight zone. bum bum bum bum.

http://www.wewantyoursoul.com/
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

There's a golden rule...Unless you find a clear doc , the license giving you the rights to use them, is no safe in any way to use them. Just that they don't include a license, means nothing. They could have trade marks, and resgisterings of all flavours.

If you find a GPL or BSD license that very accurately and specifically allows the usage, and in the way you need, ok then. In a AAA game, you have a hard time to find that. There was a (Golgothat?) AAA game content, or small part of it, which was open sourced, but this was very rare...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

btw, companies like blizzard(and blizzard itself, I think there were probs with Freecraft ) have closed loads of times fan projects even, not only freeware, but their admire-full fans!

so, I wouldnt take that direction.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com