Windows Vista and Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
GrigoriosSokratis

Windows Vista and Irrlicht

Post by GrigoriosSokratis »

Hi, tomorrow I'm going to buy a new computer, something with the following specs:

Intel 2 Dual Core 1.86
1024 DDR2
Geforce 8600 GTS 256M VDDR3

Now the point of the question is:

I know that the most appropriate OS for the above system is Vista but as I'm working hard on a project made with Irrlicht and I'm afraid of installing the new OS and having as a result my project not working at all or working, but with a myriad of problems; or even worse, getting hundreds of errors in Visual Studio 2005 when trying to compile it.

What should I do, stay with good old XP (but still reliable) or take a chance and make that step forward (that sooner or later has to be done)?

Any advice or anecdote with Irrlicht working under Vista from your own experiece is appreciated.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You should think twice about the 8600. It has a 128 bit memory bus. Actually all the 8000 series aside from the 8800 have a 128 bit memory bus, where as the 8800 has 384.

I recommend a 7900 or a 6800 since they're both 256 bit.

Cheers

PS: In relevance to the topic, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Actually, "if it aint broke, dont break it with Vista" :lol: . I got no personal experience with it, but everyones having problems with it, especially graphics-wise, so why take the risk? The same goes for DX10, although personally I think it would be fun to have a tinker with Vista and DX10 with a 8 series card, but thats only for fun, if your working on a serious project dont go there.
GrigoriosSokratis

Post by GrigoriosSokratis »

Ooooops, you saved my life (though not my pocket :D )thank you especially regarding the graphic card; since after reading your post I stopped suddenly the train and thought it twice about the 8600.

Now I'm considering the 7900 (the 8800 would be nice but I can't pay the price of a second computer just for a gc)

As for the Vista I'll wait for more answers but for the moment XP wins the game. Let's see how the next inning goes like.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Couldn't you buy Vista and set it up as a dual boot with xp? That way you could have both!

Also, Irrlicht works just fine for me, and I have Vista.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Installing Vista is accepting it's EULA in any case and there is where most people simply say no. I guess you didn't read it fully?
rooly

Post by rooly »

i honestly advise you stay with xp. vista is not nearly as useful and still too buggy. when vista is no longer exorbitantly priced, go ahead and get it, but until then, don't.
When banks compete, you win.
When ISPs compete, you win.
When electronics retailers compete, you win.
When governments compete...you get drafted.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

WELL VISTA IS COOL and contains many useful things but if u gonna use it alone without xp so i think u choose winxp now :)
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

I currently use Vista Home Premium which came with my laptop from the factory. I don't have any problems with it yet. I honestly recommend going for two dual channel gig sticks of ram though, whether you use vista or not. The price difference isn't all that much but I think the benefits are great, especially with these higher speed Core2Duo processors we all seem to be getting lately. Mine came with a 1.6 Dual Core, which is just fine for me. I could get better, but everything I do works fine. About the graphic card, I have a NVidia GO 7600, which also seems to do just fine with about anything I throw at it.
sRc

Post by sRc »

Dorth wrote:Installing Vista is accepting it's EULA in any case and there is where most people simply say no. I guess you didn't read it fully?
it isnt that different than XP's. whats your problem with it?
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hah yes I *recently* purchased a 6200 to upgrade from a Radeon 9200.. :lol:

I need to get something with a core clock faster than 400mhz someday...
Daaark

Post by Daaark »

Vista is the worst OS ever. Even thought I have never used it, and don't know anyone who has. :roll:

If you get a new machine, Vista runs fine. It has some driver issues with SOME older hardware, but what OS doesn't? I have older hardware that didn't get Drivers for 2000 or XP, that's the nature of the game.

Vista runs fine, and better than XP in most cases so far, and I'm running on a baseline system.

nVidia's OpenGL drivers are a bit troublesome, but they improve with each release. I have a few annoyances in apps that mix opengl and the windows GDI, but other than that, they seem to run fine speed wise now, and some crashes are gone.

All my apps run fine otherwise.

It's a great OS (and personally, my favourite), don't let some uniformed fools tell you otherwise.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Haha IUnknown, cool location...
JediTrooper87

Post by JediTrooper87 »

Daaark wrote:Vista is the worst OS ever. Even thought I have never used it, and don't know anyone who has. :roll:

If you get a new machine, Vista runs fine. It has some driver issues with SOME older hardware, but what OS doesn't? I have older hardware that didn't get Drivers for 2000 or XP, that's the nature of the game.

Vista runs fine, and better than XP in most cases so far, and I'm running on a baseline system.

nVidia's OpenGL drivers are a bit troublesome, but they improve with each release. I have a few annoyances in apps that mix opengl and the windows GDI, but other than that, they seem to run fine speed wise now, and some crashes are gone.

All my apps run fine otherwise.

It's a great OS (and personally, my favourite), don't let some uniformed fools tell you otherwise.
Finally, someone else who isn't a Linux fanboy. I run Vista Ultimate on this rig:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
500GB WD SATA
2x DVD+R IDE Drives
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
2x Widescreen Flat Panel Samsung 19in Monitors

And the only trouble I've ever had was with the drivers for the 8800, but that's the only problem ever and gets better with every new driver released from nVidia. I got all my games to run on it fine right after install and even Irrlicht runs flawlessly except for openGL (but that's getting better with the drivers).

Vista is not a bad OS. I would not recommend it to a casual computer user because you will most likely need to build a new rig to run it efficiently and you need to understand UAC, but don't listen to people who claim it to be XP with a fancy new GUI. They have no idea what they're talking about.
Daaark

Post by Daaark »

The net is being flooded with negative crap about Vista as part of a smear campaign.

Runs fine on my Athlon 3500+, 512mb ram, geforce 6100. Like I said I bought a baseline new system. It runs better than XP does on another machine in here with a dual core and 1 gig of ram. :lol: UAC is probably the best new feature. It's nice not to give every program I run 100% access to mess with anything it wants to.
olivehehe_03

Post by olivehehe_03 »

JediTrooper87 wrote:Finally, someone else who isn't a Linux fanboy. I run Vista Ultimate on this rig:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
500GB WD SATA
2x DVD+R IDE Drives
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
2x Widescreen Flat Panel Samsung 19in Monitors
Nice setup there, mind if I borrow it for a while? :D

I've got Vista Home Premium and it runs fine here, it came with my new laptop so no upgrade problems for me. All my games (except for Jedi Academy, stupid OpenGl error) run fine, all my other programs run fine too. In my opinion Vista is faster and more stable than XP was (or ever will be most likely). But I've noticed alot of problems come from people trying to upgrade from XP to Vista, so if you've been waiting for an excuse to get a new PC, go for it and get Vista with it. Most people just see the word Microsoft attached to it and assume it sucks, but it's really pretty good.

EDIT: As for UAC, I didn't like it, turned it off :P
Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away.