Height Maps creation

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Vsk

Height Maps creation

Post by Vsk »

Hello, If I have a Mesh in for example 3d studio max, this mesh is from a terrain. How do I get the height map? Is there any option on 3d studio max or other tool that according to a mesh terrain returns a height map for irrlicht ?
The limitation 126x126 (I guess) height map of irrlicht determines that can not be a very huge terrain?
Thanks.
Vsk.
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

You simply could render it outof the topview. Than youl pick the depthbuffer (don't forget to set near and far limits) Finished.
Vsk

Post by Vsk »

Thanks for your answer.
I understand your sugestion but haven't 3d studio an option for this?
I explain that I doing the game logic and the one who made de models and know about 3d studio etc don't know about video games dev and din't know height map (well he knew it but not as in 3d engine).
The thing is that shouldn't 3d studio or other tool have an option so use and standard for every 3d engine?

Vsk
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

sry, i don't get you..
A greyscale bitmap is pretty much as standard as possible^^
Well, an artist, that doesn't know high maps... i think well, he's not really usefully (there has to be a whole bunch of knowledge about how engins work to do good RT graphics)
Vsk

Post by Vsk »

Sorry about my english, I apoligize.

You are right about the artist but actually It does not matter in this case too much because good graphic is not our goal. And the actual graphic are good enough.
I try to explain again. What I meant is shouldn't 3d studio have an simple option named (for example) "export height map" that given the actual mesh loaded, export its height map?.

I would be surprised that if it'd not had it. I mean it is basic.
It has the opposite thing, you give it a heiht map and 3d studio set the mesh according to it. But why not have the other option?

Any idea.
Thanks since now.