Visual Studio 2008 Released!

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
sRc

Visual Studio 2008 Released!

Post by sRc »

Both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 Express editions were released on Nonday of this week! Get yours now!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/express/

P.S. a VS9 project file added to the SVN would be nice :D
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Aiiiie! Not another MS project format! DIE! DIEEEEEE!
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
SwitchCase

Re: Visual Studio 2008 Released!

Post by SwitchCase »

The Anaconda wrote:Both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 Express editions were released on Nonday of this week! Get yours now!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/express/
F**ckadoodledoo
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

The anaconda why use visual studio when there are plenty of other ides that can do what it can and there free.

kdevelop,wxdev++,eclipse just to name a few.
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

The Express editions are free.
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
sRc

Post by sRc »

Cardinal4 wrote:The Express editions are free.
yep

visual studio is a very good IDE, and the express versions are absolutely free.. heck, i was only talking about Express when I started the thread, but i figured id edit it for those that use the full versions or have MSDN licenses so they knew that version was out too :lol:
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

So what does Visual Studio 2008 bring to the table?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
sRc

Post by sRc »

Halifax wrote:So what does Visual Studio 2008 bring to the table?
http://blogs.msdn.com/somasegar/archive ... tions.aspx a brief summary of things, my internet here at my work is being slow so i cant find a detailed list at the moment :?

not much for C++, really, although it was really nice on my new clean install of Windows (started it alst week) to not have to download the huge Platform SDK and tweak a bunch of things to get it to go, just installed Visual C++, the latest DirectX SDK, and opened up the old project and bam, Irrlicht compiled with no problem :)

EDIT: now that i've taken FIVE FREAKING MINUTES to delete the extras from the triple post, I apparently need to go kill someone in our IT department :evil:
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

I actually went and downloaded the Express Edition of VS, along with DarkGDK. Turns out that DarkGDK is now freely available to use with VC++ after The Game Creators and Microsoft had a little fellatio session. Good stuff i thought, but I was wrong, very wrong infact. For one Visual Studio is probably the worst IDE I have ever used. In addtion, DarkGDK is pants. Sure it's easy to use, but thats the only thing its got going for it. Overall, all im trying to say is that I have no reason or inclination what-so-ever to use Visual Studio.

If you want to see how far I got using VS and DGDK before deleting everything it a fit of discontent and opening up an Irrlicht project in Code::Blocks then check out my post in the source code forum at H1 -> http://www.freepowerboards.com/h1programming (you may have to register to view it, im not too sure)

P.S. Before some smart arse flames me... I know that you can use irrlicht with VS and what not... I'm simply stating my experience and thoughts.
Last edited by SwitchCase on Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klasker

Post by Klasker »

Visual Studio has got to be my favorite IDE series. No C++ IDE I have used have come close to matching VS.

Code insight in Code::Blocks and wxDevC++ works "sometimes", but in VS it always works and is easy to hide and bring up depending on when I want it. The run-time debugger in VS is also vastly superior to that of wxDevC++, where it seems to ignore my breakpoints completely, and I haven't had much success with debugging in Code::Blocks either. In fact, the only IDE that I think can match VS is Borland Delphi, but that is, of course, not for C++.

One downside of VS for C++ is Microsoft's mysterious new C++ syntax, such as the circumflex (e.g. String^ s = "Hello"), but it tends to leave me alone if I don't use it. And VS is not cross-platform, of course, so Linux users will most likely say Code::Blocks is better.

Another downside would be no integrated CVS or SVN support, but with TortoiseCVS/SVN on Windows machines that's hardly an issue.

I haven't tried DarkGDK, but if it is junk then there is still no reason to take it out on VS.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

I wasn't taking it out on VS, although my comment stating that VS is probably the worst IDE I have ever used was probably a little exagerated. I was saying that the only reason I would use VS is too use DarkGDK, but since in my opinion DarkGDK is rubbish, i dont really have any reason to use VS. I hope that makes sense. :D
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Last edited by Spintz on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

I agree! I have tried Code::Blocks (no comment) and Ive used Dev-C++ ALOT but when I got into MSVC++ Express I was amazed. Everything just seems to work well right out of the box. Sadly, there is no way for me to download such a huge file (crappy internet) so i will not be able to try the new version :(
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
Frodenius

Post by Frodenius »

well eclipse is imo very good but not as powerful as vs.
worst programming style ever seen...
ATFManicPanic

Post by ATFManicPanic »

Figure I'll make my first post useful in a "get you some free software in a legal way"

I got an e-mail from my college's tech newsletter saying that, if your a college student you can download a fully licensed version of VS 2008, among other things, through Microsoft's Dreamspark program.

And I'm not talking express version here. So if anyones a starving college student [like me], FREE STUFF! WOO!

Also a couple other goodies like their server software and a 12 month XNA club subscription + software. Might be you can port Irrlicht through that somehow and get your game on Xbox easy. Might be since they changed their marketplace to include indie developers, this could be an easy way to get in on that.

Also, they have older versions of VS to, so if ya don't like VS2008 much they have the 2005 edition to.

Hope that helps somebody. :D

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Love ya'll! ;)