Irrlicht Nightly Builds Announcement

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
init512

Irrlicht Nightly Builds Announcement

Post by init512 »

Updates: November 18th
It works again! The build interface has also been improved, using AJAX to give an interactive progress on the current build instead of frequent page refreshes :). Any suggestions and mirrors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your great work!

http://irrlicht.convextech.ca/ --> Nightly Builds System
I guess it will be on the homepage soon, but I just wanted to post this for comments/requests etc. :)

I have designed a nightly builds system for Irrlicht from scratch, which compiles the latest SVN every 24 hours (or more, see below) in both optimized and debug form, and for both Linux x86 and Win32 (MinGW). The windows builds include DirectX 9 support from the latest DirectX SDK. I plan to continue support and additions to this system in the future, possibly Visual Studio builds and definitely any popular extensions you can recommend. In addition to the core binaries/libraries, the examples and GUIEditor are also build.

The build system also has a nice web interface (still working on it), which shows a detailed status of any running builds (including a live update of the file/module being compiled), and the status of the last build. There is also a public 'trigger manual build' feature, which follows some rules, and can be used, for example, if a scheduled build had failed.

Finally, I am expecting quite a lot of traffic from this, and I am looking for mirrors! If you have access to a server somewhere, and are willing to mirror the current build, email me at init512@gmail.com , or just reply to this post.

This is my first major contribution to the Irrlicht community, I hope it will be of use. Enjoy!
Last edited by init512 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Wouldn't building all that put excessive load on the server? Especially since it's also building the Examples and GUI Editor?
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
init512

Whoops, forgot the address.

Post by init512 »

Sorry for the confusion. The build system runs on its own server, the address being http://irrlicht.convextech.ca/ . And yes, I already hit myself with the stupid bat :) .
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Wow that's pretty cool. N00bs can get access to the SVN builds without having to do it themselves. :lol:

But seriously, I like this, it's a good idea.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

yea, great contribution! great idea
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Ok now that you cleared it up it sounds awesome! :mrgreen:
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Zeuss

Post by Zeuss »

MSVC builds would be good, even if it is just built with the MSVCExpress compiler. ( I believe both express and Standard/Pro have virtually the same compiler behind the ide).

I could possible host a mirror with my web hosting, it mostly goes to waste atm. Although I am not exactly an expert at making cron jobs to make it happen. So I will probably need some help.
Help make Irrlicht even Better! Create and submit your own Irrlicht Extension
Want a Games Education? Try The Academy of Interactive Entertainment
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

This is great! If we have problem with our compiled version of library, we could use that one to check if we compiled it correctly! Not just useful for newbies!
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

and useful for lazy people (example: me) too :lol:
init512

Good Reception!

Post by init512 »

Thanks all :)

I am sure there is a way to compile MSVC builds, but I think it will take some hours of messing around with the compiler. All these builds are run on a headless Linux server, but something with WINE may be possible. Also, does anyone want documentation compiled for every build?

Anyone willing to mirror, I will post instructions on the builds site in a day or so :)

I'm about to leave on a roadtrip, and I will be back tomorrow. Enjoy the builds!

/Marc
noreg

Post by noreg »

and useful for lazy people (example: me)
I second that. Domo arigato Mister. Ultracool.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

The only downside is for custom changes people does to Irrlicht.. They still have to compile it every time themselves.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
noreg

Post by noreg »

I tried it and it complains about a missing file. While it still runs it can't assemble/ compile shaders. The file is d3dx9_37.dll and is part of some DX 10.1 compatible update. What is the license for this file? Is it possible to redist ?

Asaf only ATI 3xxx / GF 9xxx cards support that. Any chance to generate a fully dx 9.0 compatible build ? I want it to run on the widest range of machines possible.

EDIT: Seems to be part of " DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers ". LICENSE PLEASE????? Can you take that out? It's a complete showstopper for DX. EDIT2: Found this: http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectX-D3DX9

As the official sites do not offer a single dll and a Google search leads to quite a bunch of malware warnings concerning this very file, every user had to download and install the entire SDK March 2008 ?
init512

DirectX Problems

Post by init512 »

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone.

@noreg: I am using the latest DirectX SDK to compile the windows DLLs. I had to put all the Windows short-style import libs through reimp and dlltool to get MinGW compatible import libraries, I am not sure if this is part of the problem. If you can point me to a version of the DirectX SDK which is known to work better with Irrlicht, I will include it and do a rebuild right away. I am also thinking of a few more improvements, such as including different varieties of builds and external tools. Right now I shall try to install the VS Express compilers on Wine (ergh). Let me know about that SDK though!

Update: I am now downloading the Platform SDK in hopes that Wine will run the compiler.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Why not using VC9 aka 2008. I believe it comes with the PSDK already :wink:
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%