programing languages

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
omar shaaban

programing languages

Post by omar shaaban »

1-if i made an application with visual c++ doesn't it need the .net framework and if yes why didn't Microsoft made a program (IDE)to compile c++ programs without .net framework

2- i saw c#, it's syntax is very near to c++ then why people are using c# i mean if there syntax are nearly the same shouldn't they move to c++ because it is stronger and more popular

3-why when i search Google for sockets or networking tutorials 98%is c# and the other is c++ :?:
rogerborg
Admin

Re: programing languages

Post by rogerborg »

omar shaaban wrote:1-if i made an application with visual c++ doesn't it need the .net framework
No.

omar shaaban wrote:2- i saw c#, it's syntax is very near to c++ then why people are using c# i mean if there syntax are nearly the same shouldn't they move to c++ because it is stronger and more popular
C# is purer, and more pedantic. It doesn't allow some of the sloppiness that C++ has inherited from C. The compiler catches a lot of bugs that would trip up a C++ program at runtime.

Also, the .NET environment is garbage collected, which removes a lot of potential for memory leaks.

omar shaaban wrote:3-why when i search Google for sockets or networking tutorials 98%is c# and the other is c++ :?:
Does anyone here work for Google?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

thanks rogerorg well i mean by the third question that c# is more used in networking than c++ .
then shouldn't Microsoft just kicked out c++ and put its upgrade which is c#?
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

Networking is not too hard in c++, if your searching for a specific language put that into the search so, networking c++ tutorials will get you c++ tutorials instead of c#. You can also hit up the msdn database for networking stuff or read up on winsock2 api.
torleif

Post by torleif »

Don't trust anything made by Micro$oft. Stick too good ol' C++
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

wow, that's a bit of an over-purist view. I say use the correct tool for the job, also the most efficient.

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Boost, Raknet, and other C++ networking libraries make networking easy to use and grasp.

There really should not be a need to deal with the winsock library directly, but more power to you if you do. Just keep in mind, that code is not portable to other platforms.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
gogo

Questions which are not related with irr

Post by gogo »

1. Net is not necessary when you program without CLR.

2. C++ is far more popular than C# now.

Learn more correct English grammer.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Insomniacp wrote:read up on winsock2 api.
Since Winsock is just a thin layer over BSD sockets, I'd Google for that instead, since they're cross platform.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

rogerborg wrote:
Insomniacp wrote:read up on winsock2 api.
Since Winsock is just a thin layer over BSD sockets, I'd Google for that instead, since they're cross platform.
You win :) time to go read for a lil then recode the networking part of the game.